𝟏𝟖. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐩𝐲

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟏𝟖. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐩𝐲

________________________

  EVERYTHING WAS SET. It took the group quite some time, but they were able to create the perfect interrogation room in the shed for Will. His sleeping body had been moved into the shed, where those closest to him followed.

  Lorelei and Steve had headed into the house to find that everyone was silent, in their own thoughts. The tension in the room was almost suffocating, so much so that they quietly wished they had stayed outside for a moment longer.

  As the interrogation took place, everyone still inside the house had nothing to do but wait. Either wait for good news, or for bad - no one knew which would come.

  "You doing okay, Frizzy?" Lorelei quipped.

  She had noticed the Henderson boy sitting by himself with his head supported by his elbows on the dinner table. He looked downcast, now that things had calmed down for the moment, it seemed as though he was reflecting.

  "Fine," he replied - and the tone in his voice suggested he was anything but fine.

  "Ooh, that's a lie," Lorelei winced and sat down next to him. "People only say that when they want to be left alone."

  "You would know, right?" Dustin dared.

  "I'm a professional at the whole 'I'm fine' business," Lorelei grinned proudly.

  Dustin hummed under his breath before moving his face away from her view. Now, Lorelei certainly was not good with kids - but for some reason, she had created okay relationships with them due to one trade secret. Kids loved honesty; she figured it was because adults lied to them all the time - but as soon as you told the truth to a child, they somewhat respected you more.

  "Did I ever tell you about the time I offered to take care of Tom Brown's dog?" Lorelei spoke up casually.

  "Um- no?" Dustin shrugged.

  "Well, I was twelve years old and this boy had just moved into town-" Lorelei began telling the story. "He had light brown hair and green eyes, and I had the biggest crush on him."

  "So you offered to take care of his dog?" Dustin snorted.

  "It's a little more complicated than that," Lorelei winced, the childhood memories traumatizing her. "I was in the school library and overheard him talking to his friends and saying that he was going to the movies that night - but no one was around to take care of his dog."