𝟎𝟐. 𝐉𝐨𝐛 𝐒𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐏𝐒𝐄

𝟎𝟐. 𝐉𝐨𝐛 𝐒𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

________________________

  SHE WAS DREAMING. It was the hazy sort of dream - the one where nothing made sense, yet everything was peaceful and calm. This was a rare occurrence for Lorelei; after the last year, she had either been plagued with nightmares or lacked sleep as a whole.

  But this morning was different. Her body moved on the bed as she slept with a smile on her face. Through her window, light streamed in and touched the tip of her nose as it poked out of the comforter. It was the perfect morning.

  "Wake up!" David Keller yelled as he barged into her bedroom.

  Lorelei bolted up, the covers falling onto her lap as she looked around at the room. Her eyes were still foggy with sleep, but they were wide open at the sudden interruption that had occurred. 

  "What is wrong with you?" she asked as she rubbed her head with her hand. "It's the first day of summer, dad!"

  "It's already nine in the morning, Lorelei," David replied casually as he leaned up against the side of her door.

  "So?" she scoffed. "I need to catch up on all the sleep that I missed out on because of school and slimy, flesh-eating, monsters!"

  "You can do that by going to bed earlier," he shrugged. "Besides, there's something you need to do today."

  "What?" she asked, her voice laced with a mixture of sleep and bewilderment.

  "It's time you got a job," David answered. 

  "A job?" Lorelei deadpanned.

  "Yes," he shrugged. "You shouldn't just sit around all summer doing nothing - besides, from what I hear, most of your friends are getting jobs."

  "You forget that I only have a limited amount of friends," Lorelei pointed out. "And I wasn't planning on doing nothing - I was going to look for things to do around this place."

  "Well, now you've found one." David Keller walked over to her and pulled a flyer out from his back pocket before handing it over to her.

  Lorelei took the flyer in her hands, and her eyes narrowed as she read through it. The small paper was informing her that the Hawkins Pool was looking for new teen lifeguards to work over the summer - it didn't pay much, of course, but that didn't bother her. What did bother her was the fact that she would have to spend her days in a red bathing suit, melting in the sun and listening to a bunch of kids yell around all day.