𝟐𝟕. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭

Start from the beginning

     For a moment, she could pretend that the adrenaline was actual energy - that her body wasn't begging her to just lay down and stop if even for just a moment - and she freed her arm from Estelle's grip, finding a way to run herself.

     They passed several of the same metal doors they had gone through only minutes before and finally reached the only door they wanted to see. The one that led to the backroom of Scoops Ahoy was still open, and Lorelei dashed past it with Estelle right beside her, both girls gripping the walls as they made their way to the center of the mall.

     The sound of explosions was louder now, causing a headache to form in the middle of Lorelei's temple, making the pain from the wound on her forehead a thousand times worse. She winced slightly, almost expecting to be met with a bomb of sorts. Or maybe some military backup finally set fire to the Mind Flayer.

     What she saw instead would forever be imprinted in her mind. 

     Fireworks were exploding all around the mall, bright colors of blue and orange piercing Lorelei's eyes. She reached the entrance of Scoops, catching up with Mike and Max who were both staring straight ahead with the same shocked look that Lorelei guessed she was also sporting. 

     The fireworks weren't even the craziest part. No - what brought Lorelei to a standstill was the sight of the Mind Flayer, closer than she had ever seen it before, and the two measly figures of Eleven and Billy right in front of it. It seemed as though Eleven was just as helpless as the rest of them, as her body was on the floor, with only her hands holding her up.

     As for Billy, he had his back to them, but Lorelei found herself perplexed at what he was doing. It didn't make sense. All he had wanted was Eleven, and now, there she was - right behind him - and he was shielding her.

     It became quiet for a moment, with the fireworks coming to a stop. And then a roar came, so fierce and ear-shattering that Lorelei had to hold her hands against the wall to keep her body from tumbling in fright. 

     It opened its menacing mouth, another fleshy limp coming out of it and heading straight for who Lorelei guessed to be the target of Eleven, who had brought up her arms as useless protection. But the blow the girl had been expecting never came. 

     Lorelei could barely believe her eyes, but Billy Hargrove was holding onto the limps with all hi might. "No!" tumbled past his lips, almost overwhelming the screams of the Mind Flayer as he desperately tried to keep the creature at bay.

     He had almost succeeded, at least at keeping that limp from attacking Eleven, but then another few tendrils came from the sides of the Mind Flayer. Each of them attached to one side of Billy's body, gripping him until his shirt was fully red with blood and his body was lifted, held up into the air.

     Her hand flew over her mouth as she watched the scene before her eyes. Out of the corner of her vision, Lorelei could see the look in Max's eyes - desperate, scared, and confused - as she watched her step-brother sacrificing herself.

     Lorelei had known deep down that Billy was still there, somewhat in control of his mind. And she knew that he was fighting it - he had been when he tried to run over Nnacy, and when he knocked Lorelei out - but he had only accomplished full control now. 

     And it was about to cost him his life. 

     A scream ripped through Billy's throat, echoing against the walls of the mall and bouncing until it reached Lorelei's ears. The Mind Flayer parroted that yell, its mouth - if one could even call it that - opening up with a growl sounding out before a flaying tendril came hurling towards Billy, hitting him straight in the chest.