Fate's Choice

My name is Alba Rose Vaughn-Parks. Usually, though, I just go by Alba Parks.

When I was five, my father was killed in a car accident. A mother and her two daughters were also killed. I used to hate that mother. I used to hate the fact that she took my daddy away from me. But that was before I found out what happened.

When I was seven, my mother abandon me. Called me a freak, a disappointment. I was the reason my father had gotten drunk and gone out, picked up a whore and decided to go for a drive. I was the reason he hadn't loved us and I was the reason she'd had an awful life since then. She tied me up and threw me into a dumpster. Extreme, I know. She was always a lover of the dramatics.

Unluckily for me, a man named Jonathan found me and saved me. He took me back to his house and kept me until I was fifteen.

Sounds great, huh? Yeah right.

He was just like everyone else. Cruel, uncaring, disgusting, selfish. I could go on.

By the time I was fifteen, I'd educated myself. I'd been preparing. The moment came and I took it. I ran and fought and got free - only to run into another man. This one's name is David and he's my best friend.

It's been a little over two years since I broke out and now I'm preparing to hunt down my mother because she holds something dear to me.

But there's a complication. We're going blind.

Now I have a decision to make. David's always been there for me. He's the only one who's been there for me. I love him more than I've ever loved anyone, even though he thinks of me only as a friend. Can I risk him on this mission?

I need all the help I can get, but I'm not working with much. David's strong - stronger than I - but is it fair of me to ask that of him? You can decide that for yourself. I know what I have to do and now's the time to do it, to finally act. I've waited for this moment for years.

Oh, and there's a funny little quirk about David that you should know. He's an angel.