Chapter 72

My mother was like Dorothy in Oz, or Alice in Wonderland over the last few days. To my shock, she had shown up to my wedding with Amy and Lynn, thankfully without my father, and the atmosphere that she got to witness at Kenley's house had opened her eyes. Not just that there were a bunch of gay people everywhere, Harper and Reid were also still there after all, but that everyone was unabashedly happy and there were displays of affection everywhere.

I couldn't remember the last time my father had even held her hand or hugged her. But at the house on the cape, partners were constantly in contact, even with Owen's boyfriend Aiden sitting in his lap all the time. It was quite the sight, because Aiden looked like he could be in a bike gang, but he was as much of a teddy bear as Owen.

"Everyone here is so nice," she whispered to me after a wonderful dinner the night before I was marrying Amber. "I can see why you and your sister left. This is the life you were meant to be a part of."

To some people, that statement might not have meant much, but coming from my mother, it was a huge step towards the acceptance that I'd always wanted. I still didn't think I'd get it from my dad, but I didn't care anymore. "It really is. The people here love each other so much that you can't help but smile. Even when we're feeling down, these friends of ours pick us up with no questions asked at all. They barely knew us, and yet they took us in and treated us like family."

We were out on the beach where the wedding would be tomorrow, and she had never looked more relaxed. But at this moment, she also looked very remorseful as she looked down at the sand with a frown. "Which is better than I've done for far too long. I'm so sorry, Shay. I've been blind to so much. I'm going to be a better mother, I promise you that. I'm giving your father an ultimatum too, he needs to accept you both or I'm leaving him."

I cocked my head and looked at her. "Thanks mom, but you know that isn't enough, right? He isn't much of a husband either. Just look at the people here. Some of them are only five years younger than you, but their attitude is so much different because of their love. Do you really think dad is going to give you that kind of life? That kind of affection and intimacy? You deserve more too." I didn't even say anything about their sex life. I'm sure my father was strictly missionary, and on a schedule, and probably treated going down on a woman like he treated a bad quarterly earnings statement. Something to be avoided at all costs. The couples here, as my ears had already heard, were much more exciting than that.

But to my surprise, my mom blushed when I said that, though not for the reason I expected. "Your friends Owen and Aiden told me they'd take me to Provincetown. I guess there are a lot of women there that like dairy, and he thought I'd have a great time."

I had no idea what the hell she was talking about, but I had to find out. "Dairy? Just what did Owen say?"

She rolled her eyes, much like Lynn did a lot and I knew where she got it. "He said that there were girls there that liked milk. Maybe they'd like me because my skin is pale?"

I snickered and put my arm around her shoulder. "MILFs mom, they like MILFs." Even when she was a bitch in the past, my mom was always a good looking woman. Thank God Lynn and I didn't take after my dad, because my mom's DNA was so much better, and she would definitely be qualified as a MILF. I didn't want to imagine my mom meeting a biker chick that would rock her world, but it might keep her eyes wide open afterwards! "Maybe look that one up." I told her how to spell it, and then went off to find Amber. She was down, because while my mom was here, hers wasn't.

Harper had got the dirt on her mom's new husband, the doctor who had indeed been in charge of her treatment in the rehab center. Evidently, she wasn't the first woman who he'd swindled money from, though she was the richest. She had been able to recover some of the money, a little over $2 million, but the rest was gone in a ponzi scheme that was already being prosecuted at the federal level. But Louis was in jail, and had lost his medical license, while Harper also filed a suit against the rehab center for continuing to employ a doctor who had multiple complaints to the medical review board in that capacity. Maybe someday the rest of the money could be recovered, but she still had more than enough to live on, plus Amber still had some set aside for her.