Chapter 56

When Shay and I finished getting dirty, and then cleaned up again, in the shower, we walked downstairs much more relaxed and refreshed. The kitchen was packed with people, with the music blaring and everyone carving up a bunch of fish that were overflowing a pair of coolers on the floor.

"Hey! They're done!" Lynn called out, making Shiloh turn down the music with a smirk.

I looked over at them in confusion, and everyone started chuckling, except Harper who was blushing beet red. "Sorry, but with you wailing like a banshee, and Harper sounding like she was trying out for the opera, we needed to have some music," Shiloh told us, which then made me turn as red as Harper.

In the meantime, Reid gave Shay a high five.

Yeah, the big dick energy was strong with those two.

Harper gave me a rueful grin, but while we had a moment of embarrassment, we also had been very happy with what caused it, so I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. "Where did all the fish come from?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"We did a little fishing after we went skiing," Amy told us. "We stumbled onto a school of striped bass, and they were almost jumping into the boat. I think we caught 19 of them by the time we were done."

"Damn! You guys did great!" Striped bass are big fish, and they were being broken down into fillets by Harper, Kenley and Reid at a brisk pace. They'd had a lot of practice, since they caught a lot of fish here throughout the year. I was happy, because I knew we'd have freshly caught fish going home with us at the end of the weekend!

Lynn had a grin on her face as she took everything in, and I was happy we'd brought her. I mean, she was Amy's girlfriend now, so it was a given that we would, but she seemed to be as enthralled with this group of people as Shay and I had been when we made our first visit. That would make things better, because I had a feeling that any prospective partners that didn't get along with this group weren't going to be around for long. They were great judges of characters, so having their seal of approval was a good thing.

Had others failed that test? Nina was usually here alone, with her son of course, but had nobody else. She looked happy for Amy, thankfully, but had she struggled to find someone to bring? Would a guy have a problem with this dynamic? Reid certainly didn't, but in my experience, he was a pretty rare man. Hopefully Nina would find her person, if she wanted to, and then maybe we'd all have someone. At least, until the group adopted a new stray like they had with me and Shay.

By the time the cutting was done, they had a dozen fillets marinating, and more than double that in plastic bags for use later. "Hey, Amber!" Kenley called out. "Can you please bring these to the garage freezer?" I knew where that was, and nodded quickly. They had a freezer out there just for times like this, as there were always a lot of fish caught on their excursions.

"Sure thing." I grabbed the bags in both arms, and carried them to the garage, with Shay opening the door for me, and then she turned on the light so I wouldn't trip. I took two steps into the garage, then stopped and stared at the sight in front of me. Sitting in the garage, with a red bow on it, was a brand new Aprilia RS 660 motorcycle in racing black. A little banner hanging from the ceiling said, 'Happy Birthday and Graduation Amber!'. I turned around in shock to see the whole gang there staring at me, and Shiloh even took a picture of my dumbfounded expression. This was the bike I'd decided to get back when Owen was helping me pick one out, but I'd already given up on getting it when my mom left, so I was completely overwhelmed. I just stood there, silently crying happy tears and smiling at everyone. "You're all crazy, but I love you all so much!"