Chapter 12

Gloria and Kate were happy to see me after I left Shay back at the auto repair shop. I'd been sorry to leave her, but I knew I'd be seeing her later, preferably after I got another shower, as I was sweating a lot while riding around on the bike in the late summer sun. I had printed the form that Kate and Gloria had sent me and filled it all out, and then brought it with my birth certificate with me to see them.

"This is perfect," Gloria said happily while making a copy of my birth certificate. I'll get this submitted for you, and next Saturday you should be able to start."

"Yes! That really sounds great, thank you so much."

"You're very welcome. We were thinking about having you do four hours each day, Saturday and Sunday, to see how things work out. As we settle in, that will probably go to six per day, and it you want we can then go to eight if you can handle it. Maybe in the summer you can get even more hours too. The minimum wage here in Rhode Island is just over $13 an hour, but we'll be paying $15. Is there anything else you need?"

I did some quick math in my head and shook my head rapidly. Four hours a day would be $60 every time I worked, and when they went to six hours if would be $90! It might not seem like much to some people, but it was a lot to me and my tiny budget. "That is amazing. Thanks Gloria. Do you know what I'll be doing?"

She shrugged, then nodded towards Owen and Kate who were having a discussion over near the treadmills. "They'll know. Odds are we'll start you out with some cleaning work. Sometimes the patrons aren't good at cleaning the machines after they get them sweaty, so you can help out with that, or cleaning in the women's locker room. You might also help out Owen when it comes to restocking the snack bar or manning the phone at the front desk and things like that. There are a lot of other things that we can train you on when you're older and can handle money."

"I can do that!" I said eagerly. "What time should I be here on Saturday?"

"Be here a little after lunch. Let's call it 2pm, okay? Oh, and don't worry about a uniform, we'll have some gym wear with the gym's logo on it here from the main office by then, so you will be all set."

It was a little overwhelming, but I just nodded happily. Free uniforms? Money? And I could work near Shay and see her a little more? This was almost too good to be true. "Thank you so much Gloria, you're the best!"

"Ha! Only because you haven't seen me be all scary!" she winked to let me know she was kidding, not that she needed to. She seemed too nice to be angry, but I bet Kate could kick some ass. "Now, one last thing. If you have banking information, we can direct deposit your paycheck, otherwise I can just give you paychecks every other week. Do you have a preference?"

I thought about that for a moment, then realized it probably didn't matter. There was a BankRI branch right in the shopping plaza nearby, and that was where my student account was. It would be easy enough to deposit it a check there and keep some cash to expand my wardrobe, since I couldn't get a debit card on that account. If I was really lucky, that dress would still be there once I got my first paycheck! "I'll just take the checks for now. I only have a student savings account, so I'm still figuring out my money situation."

"That's fine, there is no rush at all." She gave me yet another kind smile, and it made me wish that I could get something like that from my mom. So far, the breakfasts in bed were doing nothing but annoying her, but I was going to keep trying whenever I could.

"Thanks Gloria. I'll see you next week!"

With all of that taken care of, I got back onto my bike and headed home. I had a lot of time to kill before Shay was home, but I was still in great spirits. If anything, it gave me a chance to do some things around the house, like mow the lawn that still perpetually grew every day. Once that was done, I checked on my mom, only to find her passed out in bed. I didn't think I wanted to know how much she'd been drinking, but I hoped she was okay. With time to kill, I started a load of clothes with the new stuff I just bought, plus the rest that were in my hamper and the sweaty ones that I had from the biking and mowing.