Chapter 28

I really liked Maddie. By the end of the night, I knew that I'd made the right choice in saying yes to going to the dance with her. The Snowball dance wasn't anything fancy. As dances went, it paled in significance to the Homecoming dance and the Junior and Senior proms. I guess people thought it was too cold or would rather be doing some last minute shopping on a Saturday a few weeks before Christmas.

So, while there wasn't much of a crowd, it was still fun to hang out with Maddie, and we danced for a couple of hours while having a blast. I never saw Nicky and her friends, nor did I see Shay, so there was no stress whatsoever. Truthfully, I was ready to go out with her again already because it had been well over a year since I did anything like that.

Amy had been the perfect driver, too. We dropped off Maddie at her apartment, and we shared a quick kiss that let me feel that her lips were nice and soft. I didn't even try to compare it to kissing Shay, because I wanted to treat Maddie like her own person, and not worry about the past. Amy didn't tease me on the way home, she was just proud of me that I was trying to move on and heal, which was just what I needed.

Before I fell asleep, I already had several texts from Maddie. She'd had a great time too, and we planned to meet up the day after Christmas for a lunch, and then again for a sleepover on New Years Eve. Considering the rest of my Christmas break was going to consist of me constantly fighting with my mom as I tried to take the never-ending supply of alcohol from her, I was really looking forward to the days with Maddie so I could have a break and feel better about life.

Christmas day finally arrived with little fanfare. My mom was drunk, though thankfully I still didn't hear anyone else in her room, so there was no Grinch for me to get rid of. But the day held nothing good for me. I did get a nice Merry Christmas text from Maddie, but I knew I couldn't see her. She was up in Massachusetts visiting her grandmother, and wouldn't be back until later that night, so that we could see each other tomorrow. I got texts from all my work friends too, which warmed my heart. That job was helping me in so many ways that I couldn't count. For most of the day though, I just spent it in bed reading and surfing the web.

Last year, I had maybe half an hour of Christmas when Shay met me at the bus stop while she told her family she was going for a walk, and I was able to give her the first gift card and a little Christmas card, while she'd given me a black hoodie that was similar to the one that she had, and more of the bubblegum scented products. Those were the first presents I'd had in years, and they made me so happy. I wasn't expecting to get anything from Shay for Christmas this year, since I never got anything from her for my birthday because I had no interest in seeing her. I still had all the gift cards for her, and I wasn't too sure what to do with them. Maybe I'd save them and give them to her as a housewarming gift when she finally got her own place. But not for Christmas, I couldn't handle seeing her when I was already this emotional around the holidays.

But I got a present for Maddie. It wasn't anything crazy, just an adorable little pink teddy bear with a Santa hat on it. I thought it was cute, and she could keep it around as a reminder of me, so it worked out. Likewise, I wasn't expecting anything much from her either, it was too early in our relationship for her to do anything more than something small and sweet like I had done. Realizing how much I was missing her, I decided to shoot her a quick text.

Me – How is your Christmas going? Fun?

Maddie – Great! My grandmother missed us. I think we're staying longer though. I might have to cancel tomorrow. I'm so sorry! I really wanted to see you!

I just sighed as I lay back in my bed. I couldn't be upset, she was with family, and that was what Christmas is about. It wasn't her fault that I didn't have a family I could spend it with, and she did. If anything, I was a little jealous that she was able to enjoy that, but at the same time I was happy for her.