Chapter 33

Amber's POV

The talk I'd had with Shay had done wonders for me. There were no more questions, no more worries, and we intended to keep it that way. Nicky and the rest could say and do what they wanted, and it wouldn't matter, because we would always know the truth. Yes, we should have done that from the beginning, but Shay had her secret and they used that against us. Now that it was out, and we were reestablishing our friendship, there would be no more setbacks, and no more hiding at lunch. But that required a favor from my favorite teacher.

Sure, they could try new things, or perhaps try to get physical, but we didn't worry too much about that because we'd kick their asses. We didn't want to resort to that either, as it obviously didn't work. No, we had to just make them upset by making sure they knew their efforts didn't work, and maybe calling them out a little and hope they'd react poorly.

How we were going to do that had been a subject for debate, and we ended up deciding on a strategy that may or may not work. Shame. Certainly, our three antagonists had none, but maybe the people who had done their dirty work might have a shred of decency left. Maddie seemed to, unless she had been acting again, but that didn't seem likely in front of her mom the other day. Hell, we didn't even know what others might be out there, and how they might feel!

When I got to the bus stop the next morning, I greeted Shay with a happy smile. "Good morning," she said with a tinge of relief. "Are you ready for today?"

"Oh yeah. It should be an interesting one." I was nervous, but now I knew I had Shay by my side, and I could do this. "But I don't think they'll expect it. They probably think we're miserable right now."

We stood in silence for a bit, our breaths making little steam clouds every time we exhaled. "I missed this," Shay admitted softly. "I can't believe I fucked up so bad. I know I apologized, but I don't think I can stop saying I'm sorry."

"Shay, its alright. You don't have to apologize, okay? Yes, things could have gone differently, but we're good now. I was thinking about this, and what they did to you wasn't fair. I know you would have told me when you were ready, but they were trying to force you and it shouldn't have happened that way. The timing was just wrong, and I get that now. You helped me when I needed it, and now we can help each other moving forward."

She looked like she was going to say something, but the bus arrived and interrupted her. For the first time since school started, Shay sat next to me again, and I realized how much I'd missed it. She was like my anchor, and I felt a lot more secure with her next to me. Of course, she was struggling to talk now, and I knew something was up.

"No more secrets, Shay. Whatever it is, tell me. You can say anything to me," I whispered.

She chuckled under her breath, and then nodded. "I know, but this is kind of embarrassing."

"If you tell me that you really have two penises, then we may have some issues." I gave her a wink, and she looked at me and started laughing. I missed that laugh, and I just let her go with it.

When she finally calmed down, she leaned in close. "Nothing like that, no. I was just wondering what it might take for you to go back to the bubblegum scent. I really miss it."

I reached over and held her hand. "I'll wear it tomorrow. I miss it too." She gave me a grateful smile, and I knew I'd made the right decision. We may be just friends right now, and I might be hesitant about getting into a true relationship again, but I knew that when I was ready for one, that there was nobody I'd rather try it with than her.

"I'm glad we're friends again," Shay said after a few minutes of driving. "I missed you so much."

"I needed this too," I assured her. "Life has been pretty crappy lately. You're one of the few positives I have."