Chapter 61

Having Mr. and Mrs. Chase over for dinner was not what I'd expected when I woke up that morning, and their visit had started awkwardly. None of us announced our engagements right away, as we planned to do it together at dinner unless the rings were noticed earlier. Instead, we just watched The Grinch with them, which didn't seem to go over so well. Perhaps it hit too close to home? Other than the heart growing of course, as it seemed like their father had one. Their mom thanked us for the invite, and she did bring a bottle of wine as a gift, which was good, or they wouldn't have had any at dinner and that would have made it even more uncomfortable. The jury was still out on her heart.

While we enjoyed the movie, they mostly sat on the couch and looked bored. Afterwards, they stayed there and chatted lightly with Lynn, who was doing her best to get them to open up a little. They'd barely greeted anyone but her though, and I didn't see how the meal was going to be salvaged at this point.

But at last, the dinner was ready and the six of us were sitting around the dining room table. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd sat around this table, certainly before my dad passed away, and this seemed like an odd time to use it again.

"Thank you for coming, everyone," I commented. "Merry Christmas, and I hope the dinner is to your liking." Honestly, I was a little terrified about that. I'd cooked each of these dishes individually in the past, but usually I was helping Reid who handled the rest. This was the first time I'd done everything on my own, even the homemade gravy from the turkey drippings, and I just prayed that I did him proud. I'd sent him pictures of each dish, and he'd given them a seal of approval, but he couldn't smell or taste them, so I had to hope for the best.

Shay's mother looked at all the food set out on the table, and I could see her eyes widen in appreciation. "This looks very nice. Thank you again for the invitation." Her father just grunted and grabbed one of the large drumsticks. I was doing my best not to hope he choked.

"Princess, this is an amazing spread, you've really outdone yourself." Shay reached over to me, holding my hand and squeezing it gently. I always loved it when she did that, and I blushed crimson.

"I can't wait to eat!" Lynn groaned. "We worked up a big appetite this morning." I didn't need to make her dad choke, Lynn was going to do it for him. He did grumble, though he avoided choking. "Dad, please. We had to shovel snow to get out of the driveway."

"That's better," he agreed.

"After the sex," Lynn amended. Yep, she was going to give him a heart attack.

"Lynn, that's enough. You don't need to rub it in our faces. Get this phase out of your system and then go find yourself a good man." He started spooning a mountain of mashed potatoes onto his plate, and then smothered it with gravy. I could already see the explosion coming, but I just let Lynn run with it.

"I guess this is going to be a long phase then." She held her hand out, showing off the ring. "Would you like to be invited to the wedding, or will you be skipping it?" Belatedly, I put my hand out too, so both rings were on display.

"I guess you're going to have a slightly larger family," I told them. Shay was studying her parents, trying to gauge their reaction. Her father had a look of horror on his face, though her mother had a ghost of a smile. Honestly, in my mind that was as good as we were going to get.

"I can't believe this." Shay's dad leaned back in his chair with a sullen expression and a cold voice. "This has really gone too far. I've come to expect this from Shay, but Lynn, this is just too much."

"Dad, shut up," Lynn replied wearily. "There is no need for that."

"Seriously," added Shay. "Merry fucking Christmas, am I right?" Amy let out a snort of laughter while breaking into a grin. I could see this going downhill fast, and I just wanted to eat.