XXXVI

"What is the meaning of this?!"

Inside the Palace of the Jairus Kingdom, the royal  council were in trouble as a storm arrived in their premises. All dukes of the provinces, the King's General, the secretary and especially the king were gathered in the meeting hall to discuss the main problem, all in bated breaths while yelling into each other with such fury. Stress and anxiety mixed in the room, turning into a wound to the circle.

"The Kaja Kingdom has brought a complaint for attacking their soldiers and burning one-fourth of the forest that is under their care!" One announced, their voice trembled in the room, turning his fear visible to everyone present. He slammed the letter that they have received from their supposed ally. "And they blamed our Kingdom for this!"

"What kind of hooligan would try to start a war against the allied Kingdom?" The King muttered as he massaged his temples. His forehead wrinkled, furiously frowning at the sudden news. "This is a huge problem for our Kingdom who is currently having difficulties with our defense and offense."

"We barely moved on from the case of the late Duke of the Sheridan Household, and now this?" Someone commented. Their eyes hesitantly staring back at the eyes of a certain person.

In one of the seats of the table sat the new Duke of the Sheridan Family, Victor Sheridan. He sat calmly while his face showed an expression filled with such worry as he listened to the topic on the table. The mention of his father pulled him from thinking of a way to suggest for the King regarding the problem at hand and gave the source of the voice a look. His eyes roamed around the room that brought everyone down on their seats with their mouths shut.

"Indeed," Victor started, slowly looking away from the man then to the King sitting at the head of the table. "Rather than complaining about the new report from the neighboring Kingdom, we must now think of a way to find a solution. We are at risk of clashing with our Kingdoms to form a war and our troops are not capable of fighting the Kaja Kingdom."

"The Duke is right," The King said, taking a deep breath as he let his chest out, sitting up. "This is a serious matter. We must first start a search party to find evidence to prove that we are no threat to the Kingdom."

"I suppose me and my men could handle that ourselves," One of the Dukes suggested, raising his hand. "According to the Kaja Kingdom, the location of the fight is near my borders."

"I can trust you with that." The King nodded, he looked down at the table, staring at the map of the continent and deep into the map of his Kingdom. "To have such mana to cause a huge fire that almost reached the main Kingdom in one spell… I have never heard of that man that has the capabilities to do that…" He lowered his hand and tapped the crumpled paper laid on the flat surface. "... Well, except for one."

Victor tensed, he looked up to find that the King was now staring at him with such seriousness. "Your father," he announced calmly. He lets out a sigh, leaving Victor staring back at him and stares at his hand that is now resting on the table. "But alas…"

It took Victor everything from him to control the fury bubbling inside him. He was quite thankful that Azazel did not fight with him to take the Duke's title because he was so sure that his brother would very much have destroyed the table with his bare hands the moment that someone would mention about the case of their family' s death or someone would pity their family name as now their father is gone.

The heavy silence was broken when someone knocked on the door before letting themselves in the room. The man tensed as soon as he stepped a foot inside, the heavy tension filled the room up to the brim that it almost weakened his knees as he stood, the eyes of the officials burning through his, waiting for his word. He held the letter tightly and managed to make his way to the King, greeting him first before his subordinates. "My King, we have received another letter from the Kaja Kingdom…" he said, pushing out the paper to the King as he bowed.