IV

Her eyes met mine as I turned in her direction. I started to sweat, gulping in nervousness. Of all the people who would find out, of course, it's the youngest!

     Marah was about to say something to me, probably going to ask where am I going but I immediately raised my pointer finger and put it on my lips, making a shushing sound before putting on my hood and running off.

     "B-Brother!"

     I heard Marah call from behind but I ignored it, of course, and just continued to run until I arrived in the garden's huge maze.

     I can worry about getting caught later, hunting a bird is more important. As long as I got the birdie with me, I don't care about getting scolded.

     Ahem.

     Priorities.

     I ran and ran until I arrived at the end of the maze, only the walls were in front of me. I heaved heavily after running for minutes without a break, my legs were getting wobbly. It's either that I've been lazying around in the mansion for a long time or I have a body of a toddler. I guess both.

     I glanced behind me to see if Marah followed me, which she didn't thankfully. He didn't want the old lady to annoy him again.

     After finding my breath and kissing the ground, I went towards a thick bush behind the topiary of my stepmother. Yeah, she has like twenty of them in the garden, which is pretty scary, especially at night. Goosebumps.

     Behind the thick bush was a hole in the walls of the mansion.

     How did I find it? Out of boredom of course. It was fun finding new stuff in the mansion.

     I wondered how long this hole was like that and how is it not filled up. But oh well! I thanked whoever made this hole for me to escape. Someone might be looking after me. What a kind person.

     I hopped out of the hole with a huff and casually pat off the leaves that stick on my cloak after clawing through the thick-ass bush.

     As if I didn't come out from the hole in the walls that belong to the duke's mansion, I casually walked across the road and blend in with the sea of people in the town.

     I saw a carriage that was heading towards the borders of the kingdom and rushed towards it to get a ride. Of course, I need a ride, do you expect a five-year-old to walk towards the forest between the borders of the two kingdoms that are miles away from home?

     I swiftly got in the carriage behind without getting caught thanks to my small physique. Though it was hard trying to hop myself in, the carriage was too tall for me, but I ended up riding it. No worries.

     "Well, that went great…" I hummed, tilting my head, watching the mansion getting smaller and smaller as the carriage moved away.

     A 5-year-old running away past curfew. It's not like I have a curfew or something, no one told me that in the mansion. Though this is new to me. I wonder if this is a good thing to do especially when where monsters could lurk more.

     Well, I had no choice. As much as I want to keep the bird to myself, I also wanted to keep the bird to save the people from dying without any reason.

     I remember in the novel that the prince will use the bird as his 'personal executioner' to the people who were against him and also used the bird to kill his father, the king, and stole the throne.

     Yeah, sorry to burst all the ladies' bubbles, some princes are very charming but there are also very shitty ones. So I advise you all to stay away from them. This is not Disney.