XXI

THIRD PERSON

"CARLOS, WAKE UP!!!"

The boy gasped, his throat drying as he shot up from his bed, hands clutching onto the blanket. His vision blurred, trying to apprehend his surroundings, slowly an unfamiliar sight clearing up right in front of him: a man hovering over his face with his eyes wide as if he had seen a ghost. The boy only blinked, confused when he met the man's eyes.

Brown curly hair all over the place with a bandage wrapped around his forehead, he could see some blood peeking from the gauze, the wound must be opening up. The man was wearing some blue weird dress, covering up more bandages on his body but it was visible to the boy as there were some wrapped around his arms as if he was a mummy, rose from the dead.

Before he could even ask, the man pulled him into a tight hug, which surprised him. "Carlos, my boy!!" The man sobbed, his hands clutching onto his hair, pulling him closer and closer as if he doesn't want to let go. "You're alright..." He whispered with such relief. His voice was soft, shaky but warm, the boy gradually relaxed in his arms with the thought that this man must be his father.

"Dad..." Carlos choked from the embrace.

He tried to raise his arms to hug back his father to comfort him as he felt his body trembling from the embrace but then he failed, feeling a tingling pain from both of his arms that made him grunt in pain. His voice made his father pull out from the hug, eyes widened in panic.

"Oh, my god! Did I hurt you?!" He asked while his hands and eyes roamed around his body to see where was the pain. The sight made Carlos laugh. "I am fine, dad..." He said, his voice hoarse. "No worries..."

But then before his father could retort, someone barged into the doors, startling them. There was a man with a long white coat hanging swiftly as he walked with two people trailing behind him. The three of them had that frantic look on their faces while looking for a specific person in the room. Relief find their faces when their eyes went to their direction.

"Mister Naveen, how many times do we have to tell you that it's risky to walk around with all of those bandages on..." Their voices trailed off when they saw Carlos and his father together, their eyes widened in surprise as if a miracle just happened. Why are they looking at us like that? Carlos thought.

"He's awake..." The man breathed, almost taking a step back when the two people behind him were trying to hold him up while their faces still in shock. "I thought..." The man stammered. "This was impossible, I thought that it was too late..."

"My boy's alright, doctor..." Carlos' father said, tearing trickling down his face, he lets out a sigh the said again, "my boy is alright...!" This time he said it with joy while gently pulling his arm around Carlos' shoulders. Carlos showed a small smile when he recieved as kiss on his hair, ruffling it after. "I was right all along!"

"If the boy is alright..." The doctor started to wonder, his pen taping on the clipboard along with his foot. He then immediately turned to the two people and pointed at the door. "Quick! Check the mother! Let's see if this also would turn into something more then God had helped us."

"What...? What do they mean, check the mother?" Carlos' father's expression changed, his smile faded into a panic. While the doctor had told them to stay, his father didn't listen and rushed out to follow the others, telling Carlos to stay in bed and rest up. There was nothing to worry about. Nothing.

This gave Carlos some time to think about what happened. What happened before. He looked down to see his arms covered in bandages, almost the same as his father. He closed his eyes, trying to remember the incident but he couldn't remember a thingz just a woman's voice calling for his name until he was being swept away as if a vacuum was turned on to suck him in.