IX

"You still want to continue school?" Father asked, looking up from reading a book.

     I was in his office, ashamed of how I confidently accept his deal and failed on the first day, thinking of how I would amaze him with my 20-year-old ass brain. Though I am not going to back down from that considering that my father loves to tease his children. I cannot bring myself to embarrassment again.

    "Yes, father. As I still have your permission to go to school, until brother Arwen is at the age to go to school, I will go with brother Victor," I said with a nod. Also trying not to blush to hope that my father doesn't think of something. I am not doing this because I want to go to school with a decent sibling, it's just a payment from getting saved by my big brother. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Though I see my father smiling at me. So much for trying to hide my true emotions.

    "I suppose that Victor took care of you well, except that he was the one who told the school about your true identity," father chuckled, closing his book and fully facing me.

    I nodded again. "But brother only did that to protect me from getting outcasted," I defended, I guess. "It was not an accident but a brother who is shielding his little brother."

    Father raised a brow, tilting his head in interest. "It's the first time you considered yourself as a brother to your other siblings. Have you finally warmed up to them?"

    I could scoff if I want to, but it's the duke we are facing here, scary. Instead, I scrunched my nose, doubting my father's words. "Father, not to be rude to my siblings but why would I adjust myself to them when they were the ones who shut me off like an outsider? At least brother Victor and Marah didn't treat me like that but those twins... ugh..."

    Father nodded with a hum, listening to every word I say, which is weird. A father, listening to his son's rants than just locking himself in the office to work. I appreciate it but it's weird. "I see, the twins sure gave you a hard time. Do you need help to gain closeness with them? I could if you want me to."

    I shook my head with a frown. What the heck is he talking about. "You shall do nothing with that, father. I wouldn't want the gaps between those twins and me to grow larger if they found out I asked you to do it. It would be a hassle for me, now that I am starting to go to school."

    "I see..." Father lowered his head as a nod. I silently sighed in relief, finally, the gods are on my side today. Surprisingly.

    "Back on the main topic." father stood up, straightening his suit. Suddenly, the air in the room became heavy. Okay, what did I do again? Did he find out that I didn't eat my vegetables this morning? I hope not.

    "About the bullies in your school."

    Oh, that was it? I thought it would be something serious- wait. How did he find out?!

     Father must have seen my reaction and said that, "Victor told me. He also told me how you told him not to tell me." That's a lot of told in just one sentence, it's hurting my brain.

     I sighed. I shouldn't have trusted Victor. In defeat, I nodded, looking away. "Yes, I was bullied..." I muttered, like a real 5-year-old brat getting scolded by my parent, though I am not. "It's not a big deal, father. I know they are gonna lay low now as soon as they found out my title.

     "My son got bullied and it's nothing?" Father scoffed. Again, I was surprised at his words. "I didn't take it as nothing. I know that Victor has already given them a warning but that was still not enough for trying to hurt you."

     "Really, father, it's fine," I stammered, raising my hands no. Why is he getting angry in my place?

     "I have already sent a letter to their parents, probably an hour later, their replies would be here with the words of acceptance of the punishment I gave," father said coldly.