XIV

"Father, I swear I am not slacking, I was just in the middle of... training," I explained with a nervous smile etched on my face in hopes that I would escape from his wrath.

     I told myself to deal with this later but here I am, standing in my father's office, hands behind me to hide off my nervousness but my face doesn't help, showing off my sweat in all its glory. All I could do was to pray for the gods to have mercy on me and help me survive in this situation as this didn't happen in the story and no! Azazel didn't die this way!

     Father raised a brow and scoffed. The scoffing from my siblings may have gotten it from him. "You wished for me to buy that, I made that kind of excuse and you cannot fool the man behind that lie." What? "But worry not, son, I am not that kind of man who would get upset over a small thing. I too, have experienced slacking off in the past."

     And the gods heard my prayers, thank goodness!

     "But..." Ah, shit. "I am for sure you are not going to escape from Marcus' wrath. Believe me, son, I did that before and snuck out of the mansion, I came back when it was dinner time and Marcus was the first one who met me by the porch. I didn't have any dinner that time..."

     "Wait, you have snuck out before?" I frowned. Not that I am not worried that Marcus would might give me the worse punishment later but I wanna learn some backstories for research purposes in case I need it in the future.

     Father raised a brow, confused. "That is what you are worried about?" He asked which I replied with a nod as I took a seat on the couch, looking up to my father who was leaning on his table. "Can't a kid be curious?" I added.

    "No." Father chuckled. "You should be."

     He then hummed, caressing his jaw to remember that specific day. "It was vague but all I could remember that was when I started going out just to see your mother."

     I... Didn't think this conversation would be personal. Should I change the topic while I regret asking such question?

     Father looked down to see my expression and just smiled. "That is why I am not that bothered being punished by Marcus or my family. Your mother was my escape."

     I couldn't speak the right words. After all, I don't even know who's Azazel's mother nor it was mentioned in the story. His mother died when he was four and was forced to live in the Sheridan Household, that's where Azazel's life starts to shatter. But with that bit of an information, it doesn't affect me on a personal level.

     Yep, it doesn't.

     Father couldn't bear the silence and sighed as he was about to change the topic with some stupid joke I asked, "my mother, what was she look like?" my words hit him like a truck when I saw his reaction.

     Azazel never spoke about his mother, not even in the books.

     "... Rather, what was she like?"

     "Well..." Father looked away, clearing his throat to remain his composure. "I don't think this would satisfy you but let me tell you briefly about her."

     I relaxed on my seat. "Please do tell."

     "While your mother is as the same as the noblewomen, what makes her different is she doesn't use a fan," father started which gave me a headache processing his words. It was understandable at first but when he finished it doesn't make sense.

     He might have seen or felt my confusion as I heard him chuckle. "Instead of a fan like those noblewomen use, she uses a sword," he explained. "Your mother was one of the two percent of the women who wanted to serve their kingdom as soldiers and not decorations."