XXXV

"Doing good so far?"

I looked up to see Titus making his way towards me, a cup in his hand. He didn't bother to ask and sat down next to me. He gave me a nudge, making himself relaxed as he watched the others having fun and celebrating for my arrival. It was quite embarrassing that Titus took his time to show me off as his nephew to everyone, making sure that every single one of them knows me. And now here I am, at the back and sitting, giving myself the space I needed.

I nodded at Titus with a sheepish smile. "Except that I have to give all of them individual greetings earlier, but yeah... I'm fine," I replied, nudging him back. "Though I never expected for this place to be lively." My words made Titus chuckle. "We're like a family here, ever since we've been banished from the Kingdom from this blasted curse," He told me.

Ah, the curse. The curse that makes them outcasts. The curse that they will have their lives taken away the moment they go back to the Kingdom's premises. It needs the power from the Book of Judgement to break away from the shackles that holds them down as that's where the curse came from. I almost had the Book of Judgement face me during the court if I was stubborn enough not to state my sins-which I was thankful that they didn't use that on me and used it to the duchess right after the trial.

"Though, one question," I paused, letting out a scoff as I shook my head. "I may be lying that I only wanted to ask you one question, but I just need to clear things up before I began to ponder everything wrongly just because of my stupid assumptions," I began to babble that Titus chuckled at my behavior. He reached for my head and ruffled it, causing me to stop spouting nonsense. Somehow the gentle gesture reminds me of my dad, the way his hand fits perfectly to destroy the neat style of my hair, an action that my dad used to do whenever I did something that amused him. The warm memory lightens the heavy weight of my heart, telling me that I'm beside the right person that I needed to be with.

"Ask away, kid," Titus replied with a soft smile, indulging me to give him a short interview.

"Five years ago when you raided the town, almost kidnapping my little sister at the process..." I reminded him, going back down to memory lane. "... how come you're not hurt having your lifespan being drained away from the curse?" The question made my frown grew deeper as I watch Titus changed his expression. He sighed, looking down at the ground, his eyes filled with guilt. "About that..." He muttered.

"What... what did you do?" I asked, my voice raised with such suspicion.

"Black Magic."

I turn around to see a man standing behind me, his thick, gray beard covered his face, making me having difficulties to see his face. Though his deep voice and bulky figure finds him very intimidating to me. I made a confused look, glancing Titus as if to ask him who is this man that suddenly joins our private conversation. But then, the confusion dissipated as two words finally made their way to my brain, chancing my expression as I glared at my uncle.

"You what?" I breathed, disbelief laced in my voice.

Titus sighed, running his hand across his face. "Azazel, this is Crane, a soldier of mine back when I was a general. And Crane, this is my nephew, Azazel."

"Pleased to meet you," Crane greeted as he joined to sit down with us, but I remained glaring at Titus.

"I mean...!" I stammered, shaking my head as I tried to ponder things. The new information has started to haunt me. "Black Magic?!! It's a forbidden magic that cost a lot, much more than a life!" I exclaimed. "Not only you chose to raid the Kingdom with the curse weighing you, you also decided to use Black Magic on yourself, which is also a suicide mission! Uncle..." I paused, my eyes still wide open from the shock. "How could you choose that path..."