XXII

"Where are they taking us?" Carlos asked.

After what happened, Iris, who Carlos just met, managed to calm him down. The two of them were sitting down, arms around their knees along with the scared children. Turns out that it wasn't Carlos that was the only one who got kidnapped. Just the sight of them having the same feeling as him made him feel a shiver on his skin, frightening.

"I... Don't know..." Iris sadly answered, he looked away from Carlos as he noticed that that the boy doesn't even want to make eye contact with him. "You look new," he added, which Carlos frown. Iris finally caught his attention.

Carlos turned his head towards Iris. "What do you mean?" He asked.

"You don't look like a street child like us. Are you?" Iris answered with another question. He tilted his head, showing an awkward smile. "Am I wrong...?"

"I was waiting for my dad."

Iris' smile faded. "What...?" He asked in a scoff.

"I was told to wait for him since morning," Carlos added.

Iris only stared at Carlos' expression, how innocent and hopeful he looks while telling him those words. It was already noon and he was left at morning. One thing answers Iris' question and just thinking of it made him feel a pang on his chest.

Iris contemplated of how he would tell Carlos. Though there was in him that tells him not to say a thing and let Carlos be stuck with the thought that his father would come back to get him.

Carlos felt uncomfortable now that Iris has been staring at him for a while, not saying a word. He awkwardly looks away, letting out a nervous laugh to avoid Iris' gaze.

That's how their conversation ended.

The truck finally stopped after hours of traveling. The doors opening woke Carlos up to see a silohuette of a man, banging the door to wake the others. The children were scared and scooted away from the man, hugging each other as if it would keep them safe. The man only glared at them, silently counting before baning the door again.

"Come out and form a line!" He yelled.

Scared, the children followed with trembling legs. Carlos unconsciously held Iris' hand as they stood up from the cold metalic floor. Carlos felt colder as they left that floor.

The children formed a line. There were more other men waiting for them outside. They were then told to put their hands up together, which they immediately followed only to be cuffed by heavy restraints, connect by a thick chain. Carlos hissed how tight the cuff is on his wrists and how painful he felt as his skin scratched the rusty metal. If he moved more, he was sure that he would get a bruise from it.

They stumbled forward when one on the men held the chains and pulled them. The man glared, pulling more. "Stand up straight!!" He yelled, making the other kids flinch in fear. Carlos couldn't utter a sound yet he was crying out of fear.

Where was his father?

Carlos still hold onto the promise that his father would come back. Maybe when his father comes, he would search for him and save not only him but also the other kids as well. He had to be patient for a while for his father to come.

His father will find him. He's sure of it.

They were led into a room, still in a line, facing the men who are holding guns, ready to aim. Carlos felt a shiver down his spine as he stared at the men one by one. And while the others were all looked kind of the same, there was this one man that stood up from one of them.

He was walking around them, eyeing them with those cold eyes. He did not feel any remorse to those poor children. The look on his eyes brought the children to shiver on their bodies, too afraid to look up and see him. It felt only death awaits them if they do.