VII

"Hmm..." I hummed, tapping my chin with my finger as I stared at the huge bird in front of me, staring back at me innocently.

     One word then I'll be done for... I told myself, thinking about it seriously. I stared deeply into the bird who frowned at me in confusion. The bird flaps its wings gently as if it's signaling me to say what's wrong.

     I tilted his head, squinting my eyes. Let's just trust our minds and heart and let them do the work! I encouraged myself. My hand on my chin turned into a fist.

     "Birdie."

     Everything stopped, the sound around me we're paused as if it was just an ASMR tape. I suddenly felt a cold breeze brush across my back, I looked up and saw the Siren Bird glaring down at me.

     And I knew what would happen next. Oh, no, this is bad.

     "Ok, never mind!!" I held my hands up in defense, letting out a nervous chuckle. "L-Let's think of another name!"

     Merciful. That's what I see in the Siren Bird as I immediately deleted the ugly name I came up with. The bird was merciful to let me live and gave me a chance to think of another name that they would like.

     "M-Mealli?" I tried again. This time, something random made me want to say it out. Which I think is a pretty bad idea.

     I slowly looked up to see the bird's reaction. And to my surprise, the bird only tilted its head, it seems confused at the name I gave, it's a word that was new to its ears.

     "Ah, what am I doing?" I said, laughing. I realized what I said when I gave them its name.

     I'm becoming too comfortable in this world despite my fate to die soon, I thought that this world I am living in is the same as the old world and I just came up with a word from that world.

     "It's a Korean word for echo or reflects," I explained, smiling at the bird. I don't know it could understand me but I explained it to them. "Korean is a language that I learned years ago."

     I had a lot of difficult jobs in my past life that I had to learn some languages for the sake of understanding my bosses. It was hard but the hard work was paid off with a huge salary. I never thought that I would use a language from my past life in my new life.

     "Do you like it?" I asked, praying deeply inside for the Siren bird to spare my life. Really, why are there any red flags around me?

     Luckily, instead of the bird getting angry at me, the bird hooted lightly and rubbed its beak on my cheeks and I knew that they liked the name I gave.

     My eyes widened then smiled, hugging back the bird. I let out a sigh of relief. "You like that name huh? Then you will be Mealli from now on."

     "Young master?"

     I sat up and turned to the door of my room to see my butler peeking with a kind smile. "What is it, Marcus?" I asked—yes, I finally know my butler's name. I asked him yesterday.

     "The duke called for you," Marcus said, looking a bit awkward as he mentioned my father. "He wanted to talk to you over something."

     My smile disappeared, I looked down on Mealli who is still snuggling me close. "Tell him I'm busy training Mealli."

     Marcus blinked and look at Mealli the bird and me back and forth. He's judging what I am doing, but I know that Marcus knows that he shouldn't go in between family matters so he only nodded. "... Yes, young master."