Chapter 98

I do my best not to waddle when Cole shows up with mine and Caleb's bags. I'm slightly sore, and every step I take feels like a light punch to my vagina.

I blame it on Caleb.

My attempt to walk straight is sad, and I can tell I'm not successful as Cole smirks in my direction and sets our bags on the floor. Even Caleb seems proud of himself as he lounges on the couch with a content smile.

He's been doing that since I ran off to the bathroom to pee and wipe smeared cum off the inside of my thighs.

"Thanks, Cole," I say.

I shift my weight from foot to foot before returning to the boxes I'm currently unpacking. It was physically impossible to relax when they were on the floor enticing me, and I'm having a good time putting everything back into place.

Plus, I'm finding many fun treasures I never even realized we own. It's like going shopping.

"You need any help?" Cole asks, glancing between Caleb and me.

I shake my head, and Caleb does the same.

"I already moved the big furniture pieces into place, and Ev's insisting she does the boxes herself," Caleb explains.

It's true. Caleb had furnished and lived inside this house for years before I came here, and I'm excited to give everything new homes. It made no sense to rearrange everything before, but now that I've been given the opportunity, I want to do it myself.

I've never truly gotten to 'make a home' before, and this feels a lot like doing that.

Even if I'm just putting away things we already own.

Cole chuckles. "Alrighty then." He watches me struggle to rip open a box before turning back to Caleb. "Adam's got the safe house cleared of electronics, and I've let everybody know all future meetings will be held at the office."

I pull a couch pillow out of the box and toss it in Caleb's direction before reaching for my phone. Caleb mentioned having a few hours of meetings this afternoon, and I intend to use that time to go to the human apartment building and ensure everything is okay.

I'm sure we'd have heard if there were any significant issues, but I want to make sure Jack wasn't planning on speaking to us about anything important or time-sensitive.

I assume not, considering he decided to stay behind with his mate, but I'd like to make sure. Besides, I think the humans will appreciate the attempt.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say they're beginning to warm up to me.

"A few human news channels have reached out to us today," Cole says, continuing to brief Caleb on everything he's missed these past few hours. "They're trying to secure an interview with us, but I turned them down."

This has become common since the human government officially announced the ending of HPAW earlier this week. For some reason, though, I thought today would be quiet. Rumor has it that most of HPAW's employees have already received their exit packages and final compensation, but today is the day the government is officially overtaking and shutting down the offices.

I suppose that means more to the wolves than to humans, though. HPAW shutting down doesn't affect their day-to-day life as it does ours. They weren't the ones who spent decades being hunted, kidnapped, and tortured.

Caleb told me most of the packs, not including the ones who still have warriors out, are celebrating.

The humans, excluding the dozen or so thousand who are protesting the government's decision to dismantle HPAW, are probably going about their normal day.