Chapter 23

The stairs are tempting, and I stare up them while I listen to Caleb clanking around. He's loud in his movements and, I'm assuming, stumbles. I'm sure Cole was trying to get him into bed before Sash's loss of control forced him away.

I wonder if Caleb specifically told them not to kill me or if they decided that on their own.

It's clear where Sash stands.

She's never been anything but friendly to me, and I wonder if she was one of the ones who knew I was a part of HPAW. Probably. She's both Caleb's sister and Cole's mate. It'd be odd if she didn't know.

I'd never have guessed. When we went to her party, she seemed nothing short of earnest as she took my hand and showed me around, loudly introducing me as Caleb's mate. She went out of her way to make me feel welcome despite knowing who I really am.

I don't know how to feel about that.

There's a loud thud followed by a low groan, and I stare up the stairs trying to decipher what that is. Did Caleb fall? How much did he have to drink?

He's always been adamant about never having more than a glass or two of alcohol, the man insisting he wants to keep his wits about him at all times. I've teased him about it dozens of times, but he never changed his position.

What kind of Alpha would he be if he couldn't protect his people in a time of need because he had too much to drink?

That's what he'd always say to me, but it seems my betrayal was enough for him to waver on his stance. I doubt anybody blames him.

"Evelyn!"

He shouts my name with excitement, and I can't help but feel a similar emotion bubbling up inside me as I rush up the stairs. I know he's drunk and I should take everything he does with a grain of salt, but I'm still eager to hear what he has to say.

I don't deserve it, but I don't want him to take another mate. I want to know if he's wavering in his decision.

He'd never believe me if I told him this, and I won't punish us both by saying it, but I was genuine when I said I loved him. I wished so many times that things were different, and I agonized over this decision for months.

It wasn't one I made lightly or one I enjoyed.

Caleb stands in the hallway outside his office door, the man barely able to stand. He leans against the wall for balance, and I find myself glancing at the white mark on his hand. Will that change if he takes another mate?

Will I truly be in pain when they are intimate? Does that mean Caleb would have felt it whenever I was with somebody other than him, or does it only apply after you've met your mate? I'm not sure if I want to know.

I hope it's the latter.

Caleb dips his chin when he notices me, the action jerky. I'm surprised he got this drunk and is letting himself be alone with me. What if I tried to kill him again? I have no intentions to do so, especially now that I'm sure the house is being watched, but he doesn't know that.

"Come here. I want to show you something," he says, waving me inside his office.

He grins when I hesitate, a bit nervous about being around him when he's this drunk.

It's the first time he's smiled at me since he approached me at the gas station, but it's too earnest. I don't trust it. My footsteps slow, and I straighten my spine as I step into his office and follow him to his computer.

I want to keep my distance until he's sobered up, but I also don't want to make him angry. Nothing is stopping him from changing his mind and killing me, even if I don't think he would do that. I'd rather be safe than sorry.