Chapter 49

I stare at my reflection for longer than appropriate, nervously tugging on my dress and readjusting the fabric around my waist.

I don't know what I was thinking when I let Mary and Stella convince me to get it. It's so tight, and the low neckline leaves little to the imagination. The cut of the top makes it damn near impossible to wear a bra underneath, and after a good twenty minutes of adjusting, I decided to cut my losses and go without.

The fabric is thick enough that my lack of a bra isn't too obscene, but I know Caleb will notice and say something about it.

At least the jewelry pulls some of the attention from my breasts. The diamonds are distracting, and they draw the eye further up my neck. I mess with the center stone before grabbing my earrings off the counter and putting them in.

I decided to wear my hair down, but it's all pushed back and clipped out of my face so it doesn't cover the jewelry. It looks pretty.

A knock on the bathroom door halts my self-evaluation, and I turn just in time to see Caleb peek his head in.

He freezes as he catches sight of me, and he takes his sweet time sliding his gaze down my body before pushing open the door the rest of the way and stepping inside.

"You take my breath away," he admits.

I could say the same to him. He's already dressed, and I eye his navy blue suit with an appreciative hum. Caleb tends to dress on the more formal side of things, but it never gets boring. His suit is tailored perfectly for him, and the jacket hugs his shoulders and arms in a way that makes me dizzy.

He's got a simple white button-down underneath, and I can't help but let out a tiny laugh as I eye his tie. It's covered in tiny images of wolves, and I'm sure he feels quite proud of it.

Caleb always feels proud when he's able to incorporate a wolf into his clothing. It's much more endearing than it has any business being.

"I didn't take you as the type of person to have a party with a dress code," I admit, leaning against the sink.

Caleb steps further into the room.

"It was Sash's idea. She said it would boost morale and give people something to look forward to," he says. "If I had my way, I'd spend my birthdays eating junk food on the couch with my mate."

It feels so fucking good to hear him call me that.

"I have another present for you when we get home." I reach forward and trail my finger down the center of his chest.

Caleb raises a brow, his eyes growing heavy. I want to feel him inside me, for longer than thirty seconds this time. The other day was a tease, and I'm sure he's feeling something similar.

"Another present," he asks. "What might that be?"

He steps forward and grabs my hips, his hold tight as he lifts and sets me on the sink. I gulp, loving how easy it is for him to pick me up. Caleb slides his hands down my sides, his touch warm even through the thick fabric of my dress.

I clench my thighs together, and Caleb's lips turn into a sly smile as he watches the muscles flex.

"Are you already wet for me, baby?"

Yes.

"You're going to have to work harder than that," I say instead. "I'm not a faucet, Caleb."

Caleb sinks his teeth into his bottom lip as he finds the end of my dress and slides his hand up it. His fingers tickle the inside of my knees, and I spread my legs as far as my dress will allow as he works them up my thigh.