Rainy walk

Hello everyone! A little change of plans! The one-shot will be out today as it should be. I hope you will like it and laugh a little too;)

April ended with very fickle weather, so Sam and Penny confined themselves to the garden when walks became an option. Now they didn't have to get up so often at night, but all the time one of them slept on an inflatable mattress in Reilynn's room. At the beginning of May, Sam returned to work, although he would have liked to use the leave he had put off for many years, but Elvis, Ellie, Arnold and Jerry Lee visited him and begged him to come back.

Sam quietly opened the door and, surprised, let Elvis and Ellie into the house when it was raining heavily outside. The drenched firefighters brushed off their uniforms gratefully before getting to the point.

"Sam, you have to go back!" Elvis folded his hands pleadingly.

"We're begging you!" Ellie joined. "We're not asking Penny, because you know" She shrugged significantly, but Penny managed to cut her off in time.

"I'm here all the time!" she shouted back from the next room.

"You'll be back someday, I know," Ellie snapped back, but she didn't get a final answer. "Sam, Steele, he may have a lot of experience, I don't dispute that," Elvis' snort cut her off, but she just rolled her eyes. "But he doesn't make it easy for us to work on calls," complained Ellie.

"Believe me, Ellie. Sam and I know what it's like to go on a mission with Station Officer Steele," Penny giggled as she walked over to them with Rei in her arms. "I can still repeat from memory the story of the sheep stuck in the bell tower of the church."

"I don't know if I'll take your offer," Sam concluded sadly, leaning over to Reilynn to lightly tickle her tummy.

"Sam, it's your decision," Penny snapped him out of that sweet moment as if reading his mind.

Now, as Sam was leaving the firehouse after his morning shift, he was glad Penny had let him come back. Sam wouldn't admit it out loud, but even Reilynn couldn't take his mind off of it if he heard the siren of one of the vehicles in the distance. Admittedly, Steele didn't allow him to work full-time, but only allowed shifts where he wasn't there. So Sam had mixed feelings about whether he had relieved his friends or not.

But now, every time he was about to turn the doorknob, a smile appeared on his face. He entered quietly and looked around to see if he could hear Penny anywhere nearby. Today, he found Penny in the living room lying stretched out on the couch with her eyes closed, the book she was still holding dropped to her thigh. Sam tiptoed over to kiss her on the cheek, but she already knew it was him. She opened her eyes and raised herself a little on her elbows to lost herself in his blue eyes like a calm summer sea.

"How was your day?" she asked, rubbing her eyes to get rid of  sleepness.

"Norman fell into the well, but nothing else," Sam recounted.

"Don't tell me you didn't miss it," Penny nudged him lightly as she passed by him on her way to the kitchen.

"Not at all." Sam laughed, pouring orange juice into a cup. "How's Rei?"

"She fell asleep about half an hour ago. But at least she slept soundly in the morning so I was able to do some ironing" She looked over her shoulder at the pile of folded clothes on the armchair. She walked over and picked up some clothes from the very top to push them into Sam's hands. "Go check on her and, by the way, put this on the shelf in her closet," she pleaded, grabbing the rest of her clothes and heading upstairs. Sam followed her.

He quietly entered Reilynn's room through the door, as always, ajar. He leaned over the crib, but Reilynn was asleep and hadn't even sensed her dad's presence. The one thing he envied Penny, when she walked into the room, Reilynn always somehow noticed it. Even through a sleepy smile, and in the last few days, she even started stretching her arms up when Penny bent over the crib.

He could never imagine a more beautiful life, although he wouldn't complain if Reilynn started to react more strongly to his presence as well. But he didn't want to change anything. The woman he had secretly loved for many years was his wife and the mother of their beloved daughter. Every moment was wonderful. He thought as he put the clothes and towels into the closet as quietly as possible. He left, giving Reilynn another proud smile. She was so calm and at the same time she was able to do more with each new day when she woke up.

He went into the bedroom to change but saw Penny waiting for him with a smile on her face. He silently hung up his uniform jacket in the closet before sitting on the bed, leaning back against the pillows and putting his arm around Penny.

"Why are you so happy?" He also asked amused.

"You just resemble each other with Rei" she laughed, ruffling Sam's hair.

"Why do you think so?" He surprised himself. Had Penny heard how he Reilynn humming a lullaby again?

"It's just, I have this feeling," she rested her head on his shoulder and sighed thoughtfully.

"And I think she looks like both of us," Sam said sweetly as he kissed Penny's temple. "Little by little," he added when he recognized her playful smile. "I have an idea, it's getting warmer and Reilynn hasn't seen anything but the garden yet. Maybe it's time to show her a piece of Pontypandy, what do you think?"

"Absolutely," Penny agreed. "We can go to the beach when she wakes up. But come on first," she grabbed his hand and pulled him to his feet. "I baked broccoli. My mom wanted to pick them up but she got sick. You don't want to throw them away, do you?" she asked playfully, dragging Sam behind her towards the stairs. Penny's Baked Broccoli was a dish he would never refuse.

They ate, and as Penny was about to finish her portion, they heard a loud cry coming from upstairs. Now it was Sam's turn after Penny got up in the night, but she was faster again. She pushed the last plate of broccoli away and stood up.

"She must be hungry," she whispered in Sam's ear, ruffling his hair. "Finish or your eyes will jump out."

Once Reilynn was fed and dressed in her warmer clothes, and Sam had cleaned up after dinner, they closed the door and went out for their first long walk with Reilynn.

The little one curiously looked around her in her pram until they reached the beach. The sand was still cool, but that didn't stop Sam, who grew up as a fisherman's grandson, which meant being around water all the time. With her mother's tacit approval, he took Reilynn in his arms and walked down the beach with her while Penny watched the whole scene sitting on a rock, taking a picture or two in the process.

Sam stood there on the sand, listening to the relaxing song of the sea and feeling his daughter relax in his arms as well. He felt that this was one of those extraordinary moments when he was alone with Reilynn. Reluctantly, he made his way back to the rocky shore of the beach as Reilynn slowly began to doze off. He put her as gently as he could into the pram, and just as they were about to start their way back, suddenly, out of nowhere, it began to rain heavily.

It rained and rained as hard as they joined together to secure the transparent cloak to the top of the cart, then painfully realized that they had neither raincoats nor umbrella with them. And the rain kept falling and falling, getting stronger. Plus, at this time of the week, everything was closed, so on the run, Sam and Penny had to run all the way from the beach to their house.

When they opened the door and finally got out of the rain, they were soaked to the skin. Their hair was falling in soggy pods, their clothes were wet, but they had smiles on their faces anyway, when they noticed that they were wet, when Reilynn was smiling at her parents from her umbrella.