Grandparents

Hello everyone! I'm coming back after a little silence with a chapter that still doesn't exactly fit right in, but it had to be written. So I spent four days writing it and that what come after this complicated process. I won't lie it is the worst from the worsts. But the next ones will be slightly better I promise I'll do my best ;)

Few weeks had pasted since Penny told Sam. Two amazing weeks when her husband couldn't stop talking about how it was going to be. She accepted it with a smile when they sat and watched TV at the evening. 

"I wonder how our parents will react" Sam thought out loud, as Penny reached for TV remote control to turned off the TV. "When Charlie told them about Sara and James they moved out of the farm." 

"Your parents dealt with this before. For mine it would be a total new" Penny replied, between yawns. 

"We can face everything together" Sam tried to encourage her, as she was gathering her blanket and was about to walk upstairs, when a phone rang. 

"Speak of the devil" Sam handed her her phone and left her in the living room alone to give her some privacy.

"Halo?" She put the phone to her ear. "No, dad. I'm not at work" she denied. "Meeting with you? Tommorrow?" She asked surprised. "I'll try to find time. Thanks, mum" Penny hung up. 

That way the evening ended and Penny already was in bad mood next morning.

She ate breakfast alone as Sam went on his morning shift. She hung up the laundry and tidied the living room quickly before her watch chimed and she put Cinamon on the leash and left, heading for the bus stop.

All the way to Newtown Penny spent in silence. Her parents hadn't told her what their urgent invitation was about. And with them there was always something on the line, starting from missing you dinner ending with death announcement. Maybe she had been overthinking it a little too much through the night, but she felt like a seven-years-old girl asked by her mother to come to her father. Most of the times she climbed down from a window in her room and hid at her grandma's house. 

She turned off her earphones and picked up Cinamon, beofre she rang a bell on the left of the black door. It didn't change, the same shutters, boxes of daisies on the windowsills, and the same creaking wooden three steps in front of the door. Even thoigh Penny renewed contact with her parents, she was still careful if it went for a place to meet. Mostly it was either at parks or at their house in Pontypandy. She prefered neutral ground. 

She waited a longer moment after the echo of bell came quiet. Then her mother opened the door before her daughter. Penny smiled, feeling how Cinamon snuggled deeper in her arms. 

"Nice to see you, Penny. Come inside" she invited, showing the old way to living room. 

Penny, absent-mindly, put her hand on the wall as she noticed this place didn't change since she last was here. And it was on the end of her academy days, long time ago. 

She sat down on the chair at the round kitchen table where her mother showed her her place. As Victoria disappeared for a moment, Penny got an opportunity to look a little around. Everything was exactly the same. The same pictures, the same curtains and pillows, the same table and chairs. Even the smell was the same as when she grow up in there. 

After her mother hadn't came back after a longer while, she decided she couldn't sit right like it. She made sure Cinamon's leash was pinned to the table leg as she stood up and walked through narrow corridon of one floored house. 

She studied the pictures on her slow way and one thing was noticed by her the most. Except of a lot of family pictures, near brown door there was a diplom hanging in a gilded frame. And not just any diploma, it was Penny's Newtown Fire Academy diploma. Penny was surprised to see that thing here, she used to think it landed in the rubbish long time ago. She carefully touched it, but she jumped away when her parents reappeared in the corridon. 

"Oh, Penelope. We wanted to ask you to come here anyway" her father simply explained. He opened the door before his daughter and let her in first. 

Penny looked in surprised at the walls that used to be empty. She always liked minimalism when she was younger. It stayed with her, but right now when she was standing it that room with her eyes still wide open, something changed in her. She felt how tears slowly tried to fill her eyes as she was wandering her fingers of certificates and diploms of herself hanging on the walls. 

"What is that supposed to mean? Mum, dad" she asked her parents as they slowly approached her. 

"We wanted to ask you..." her father started. 

"Let me tell it, Will" her mother objected. "We want to know what are you excepting from this room. We could use some space" she quickly explained.

"Yes, everything's changing so why not our house" William added. "Think about it" they excused themselves when Cinamon tried to make himself a way between their legs. Penny took him in her arms immediately as she fought against herself not to cry. It seemed so unreal that her parents put the diploms and certifiactes of her on the walls in frames, but now wanted to change it all. Hopefully she quickly found a way out of the situation. She took a box and put it all inside. Then she hid it carefully in a hole in the floor under the carpet. 

On her way out of the room, she wiped her eyes and therefore she didn't took notice of her grandmother who was just walking in the house. They both stumbled but Penny quickly gained the ground beneath her feet back and caught her grandmother to help her not meet the ground as well. 

"So, what do you think, Penelope?" Her father started once again as they ate the lunch together in silence. 

"It is not longer my room, father" Penny replied formelly. "You can do with it whatever you like". 

"We don't want to do anything against you, Penny. Not again" her mother joined, laying her hand on Penny's. 

"I got it, mum" Penny muttered angrily. It slowly started to get on her nerves. 

Sally, who was listening to their argument the whole time and was enjoying her meal, didn't want to jumped in. But she knew her granddaughter well enough to tell when she needed help. So Sally took gently Penny's free hand and smiled encouragingly. 

"What is running around your mind, sweety?" She asked quietly. 

"It's just..." she hesitated. "I guess you deserve to know about something before you make up your minds, yourself" she underlined last word, meaningfully looking at her parents. "Sam couldn't have been here today, but it also includes him. We are expecting a child" she confessed. 

To say that Penny's parents were surprised was well beyond misunderstandment. Their jaws fell down and now they looked totally hilarious. It would make Penny laugh for sure only if shw didn't feel uncomfortable. Didn't they want to hear it?

"Are you serious right now? It is a greatest pleasure of having a daughter. You should be proud of her and not play offended. Because what? being grandparents will give you a couple of years more. Then better don't take that step, that's my advise" Sally snapped angrily as she was a defence trained dog, but when she turned to her own granddaughter she put on the happiest smile Penny ever saw on her grandma's face. "Of course, I'm proud of you" she hugged her when the tears filled her eyes.