A Drunken Mistake - Time to find out the whole truth.

Start from the beginning

Katy takes her head off my chest and looks up out the window. She watches as the clouds start passing our window and we can see across the whole sky.

“Pretty amazing huh?” I ask her.

“Yeah…we still belong on the ground,” Katy points out.

I just laugh at her before handing her a headphone for the little TV on the back of the seat and put a film on for us to watch.

Time to kill a few hours.

After watching three films, sleeping for a bit and just talking, we’re suddenly landing.

My ears start popping as we get closer to the ground, and the people once again are starting to look like people. Katy’s head is once again resting on my chest as she clings onto me. I don’t mind this bit as much as I do the taking off, I like coming down back to the ground compared with going up to the clouds.

Before we know it, we’re home in England.

As soon as we can, we exit the plane and feel the chill in the air that’s a world apart from the warmth of California. This is what I grew up with, I’ve missed it.

“Ah it’s been a while since I’ve had to wear a coat…” Katy says, pulling her jacket on and tight around her waist.

“I’ve missed the English weather,” I admit to her.

“You must be crazy! Seriously, you’ve missed this cold?” she asks, her face shocked as she wraps her arms around my waist to get some of my heat.

“Yeah, California is too hot sometimes. I was always used to the rain and the cold.”

“Point taken, cold weather is still horrible,” Katy laughs as we walk towards baggage claim and passport control.

It feels good to look around us and to hear the English accent. It’s not such a rarity as it is in California, and we blend in here better with it. In America, people like to make a big deal of our accents.

Everything looks so familiar here, as if we never left. It’s good to be home.

England, I’ve missed you…

We hire out a car, and suddenly I’m trying to remember how to drive in England again. Remembering that we drive on the left here instead of the right is harder than I thought it would be. And all the roundabouts are nearly foreign to me now.

I used to be able to drive London with no problem; I could handle to roads easily, now it’s harder to remember it all.

But I still remember the way back to my house as if I was here yesterday.

I don’t know what to expect when I get there. I don’t know if the police will still be there, or what’s happened to Lucinda, our maid, and I have no clue what to expect when people find out that I’m home.

If I came back a year ago, I would have gone unnoticed. But since this has all happened, I’m fresh in people’s memories.

“Maybe I should invest in a wig,” I think out loud.

“Please don’t,” Katy pleads as she inhales another spoonful of chocolate spread. My child is going to come out addicted to chocolate.

“Why not?” I ask.

“Right now you’re an easy ten on any hotness scale, with a wig you will easily slip down to an eight. Do you want that?” she looks over at me with a little bit of chocolate on her nose.

I reach over and wipe it off, licking my finger to get it off.

“No, I don’t want my hotness slipping,” I laugh at her.

“I didn’t think so,” she smiles as she once again manages to get chocolate on her nose.

This time I leave it, it looks cute on her.

Once I pull up outside the mansion that I once called home, all the memories come back.

Mum screaming, dad shouting, me hiding. The verbal abuse I got every time I came home, and the looks of disgust I would get just for simply being there. That’s something I don’t miss about London.

From here I can see the balcony of my bedroom. I had many frustrated cigarettes standing there, many nights of looking at the stars and pretending I was somewhere else.

The balcony was my place of escape and I loved it.

But staring at it all now, I can’t help but feel terrified for everything that I’m about to find.

Time to find out the whole truth.