Chapter 51: The trial of Rhaegar and Lyanna

Jon found himself floating in a current as if a river were drawing him downstream; The grey rain-curtain of the world rolled back, and all turned to silver glass, and then he saw it the fortress of Mandos where all of Eru's children reside after their death.

Jon knew that it was an endless fortress of winding passages and tunnels meant to house all the Fëa of Arda, and even deeper in this great fortress was the doors of night where Morgoth was cast out into the void.

But Jon didn't expect this ...

Very vast were those caverns that they made stretching even down under the Shadowy Seas, and they are full of gloom and filled with echoes, and all that deep abode is known to Gods and Elves as Mandos.

"So I come here now to rest, at least my merry tale was interesting..." Jon said with some bitterness.

"It is not necessary to be so cynical, young mortal ... Although, many who have passed through these halls have acted as you have done ..." said a deep voice surprising Jon, who turned to see who spoke to him.

Standing behind him was the spectral form; he seemed one of the Noldor; despite his ethereal appearance, he could see that this figure was tall, dark and proud dressed in silvered mail and upon his brow was a circlet of silver, he appeared most proud and valiant as akin to an Elven king of old and Jon had never stood before an Elf of such beauty save perhaps the Lady Galadriel.

"I am Jon Snow... And I know we are in the Uttermost West, where now is the Doomsman who shall be my judge? " Jon said solemnly, though the elf said nothing, merely gazing at him as if peering into his soul.

They stayed that way for a long time until that elf sighed.

"I apologize for not answering your question, but I sensed your spirit was bound to one whom I love", Said that mysterious elf.

"Who are you stranger though I have shared my name yours escapes me?" Jon said curiously as he knew this was no mere elf.

"My name is Fingolfin ... Son of Finwë and Indis, brother of Finarfin, Findis... and Írimë who was your lover," Said that elf glommily.

It was then that Jon knelt in reverence of the mighty elf.

"I ... I am honoured to be ... In the presence of you oh noble king of the north who alone stood before the Great Enemy ..." Jon said, bowing.

When the elf saw him, he smiled slightly and laughed.

"It is not necessary so much formality Jon, I know very well who you are and what you have achieved ... Herenlóunga," Fingolfin said with a smile.

"My Lord ..." But the noble elf stopped him.

"Be silent, Jon... we have little time for pleasantries; come with me," Fingolfin said in an authoritative tone.

"Where are we going, my lord?" Jon asked curiously.

"To the throne of Námo... There he and the King of Arda await you. I was sent by them to receive you as your soul is rather mystifying," The elf said, slightly worried.

"How so?" Jon asked.

"Try to walk ..." Fingolfin said sadly, and Jon did, but when he took two steps, he felt like he lost all his strength, and fatigue overwhelmed him.

"What's wrong with me? ... I feel as though my bones have turned to steel," Jon thought with surprise.

"What has befallen my soul? ... I thought I would be free of all pain save for my sins?" The young Targaryen said, looking up as Fingolfin helped him to his feet.