V10: Chapter 11 - Coincidence

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

"Wait a minute, Hirata-kun," Suzune said, calling out to Yousuke as he stood up at his desk when class ended, about to head back to the dorm.

He was the first student to try to leave. This was also the first time she had called out to him since after the in-class voting exam.

Yousuke simply stopped in his tracks but didn't turn around to face her.

"I imagine you don't want to talk to me, so allow me to just confirm one thing. You will not be participating in any of the events Class B chooses. And there are no plans to have you in play on the day of the exam. But things may change, depending on the situation. Circumstances may force you to participate," said Horikita.

No matter how much Class B tries to accommodate Yousuke, there was still the possibility that all thirty-eight students would have to participate.

"If that time comes, what will you do? Will you apathetically drag your feet? Or will you put in the bare minimum required of you? I'd like you to answer me that much," said Suzune.

However, Yousuke didn't answer. A heavy silence filled the classroom. Then, as we felt time start to move forward again, Yousuke started walking away.

"So, you can't even give me an answer, huh?" huffed Suzune, exasperated. Fed up, she averted her gaze, as if to say she had given up.

"...Hey, uh, maybe we...aren't gonna win in the end anyway after all... With Hirata-kun being like this, I mean," said one of the girls in class, her voice filled with concern.

The boys probably felt the same way. One of the most important members of the class was absent, and his absence continued to place a heavy burden on Class B's shoulders, time and time again.

"You told me that getting Hirata back to normal depended on the efforts of those around him. But in the end, nothing has changed," said Suzune, addressing me.

"I'm not sure."

"Huh...?"

Suzune looked up with a puzzled expression on her face, but she and I were looking in different places.

"Hirata-kun! Wait!"

I had no idea how many times Mii-chan had cried out like that by now. She hurriedly grabbed her bag and chased after him.

"Mii-chan still hasn't given up," I told her.

"I'll never begin to understand why not," huffed Suzune.

"You have work to do, Suzune. Keep Class B together and improve our chances."

No one in our class could do that right now, except for Suzune.

I followed after Mii-chan, and found her standing face to face with Yousuke on the path leading back to the dormitory. This definitely wasn't some bittersweet confession of love, though. She was going on the offensive to get her classmate, Yousuke, back on his feet.

"Please, Hirata-kun. We need your help, Hirata-kun...so."

"Mii-chan, please, enough. Can you please just leave me alone already...?" Yousuke grumbled heavily. He was probably wondering how many times he was going to have to repeat himself.

His sharp words cut like a knife. I was sure they pierced her heart deeply. However, the determination in her eyes showed no signs of wavering. Even if he pushed her away again and again, Mii-chan continued to persist.