V5: Chapter 13 - Dénouement

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

"Not bad, Kouhai-kun. You even broke the national record," Kiryuuin said walking over to me on the track.

"How do—"

She showed me her wristwatch that indicated a time of 19.98 seconds.

"I see..."

At the very least, with this competition I'd probably gathered the whole school's attention.

"Don't worry. The time's right. No doubt about it."

I gave a slight nod. That was good, I suppose.

In any case 19.98 seconds is not bad at all. It's not that far from my best time in the 200 meters-dash.

"And what about me, Fuka~? I'd like to know my time as well..." Karma said joining us.

Kiryuuin snorted.

"You got third-place. I don't see why I'd take any interest in you, Karma. Besides, shouldn't you be receiving your class's complaints?"

"That's cruel senpai... To think I put so many efforts to defeat Nagumo—Ouch."

Mikoto arrived and slapped Karma's nape.

"Jeez, you really like to hear your voice. Can't you shut up for a second?"

Karma grinned in response while Kiryuuin chuckled.

"That was great, Kiyotaka. Thank you for running seriously," Mikoto said addressing me a smile. i just nodded.

"In any case, it was a pretty good festival, thank you for that, Kouhai-kun. Let's talk again~"

Kiryuuin bid her farewell and left noticing that my classmates were approaching quickly.

Nagumo and the elder Horikita had gone back to their classes.

"Kiyotaka! That was amazing. You were super-fast!" Kei exclaimed.

She was the first one to join us. Everyone followed and showered me with compliments.

"Whoa! Ayanokouji! Dude, what the heck was that?! You were still holding back?!" Sudou slapped me on the back with all his might.

It hurt.

"That was great, Kiyotaka-kun. You were even faster than before," Chiaki said standing next to me and pushing Kei closer to Yousuke who was congratulating me as well.

"That certainly was pretty impressive, Ayanokouji-kun. But can I ask, why did you renounce to the podium?" Horikita asked.

With her question everyone suddenly remembered that despite my exhibition, Class D had gotten eighth place in the relay.

"You should blame me for that, Horikita," Karma said. "I convinced everyone to do a little race. There isn't any change in our grade, anyway. All first-year classes arrived in seventh place or below."

Horikita narrowed her eyes at Karma not fully believing his words. If you were to make a list of the people that Horikita does not appreciate, then Karma would probably be among the first ones.

"Anyhow, the results will be announced soon. We should get going," Mikoto said taking everyone's attention off Karma and Horikita and ending all conversations.