V10: Chapter 8 - If I Ask...

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

Thursday morning arrived. It felt like it was going to be a colder day than usual while on my way to school, even though spring had come.

"Gooood mooorning! It's cold, isn't it?"

I heard a chipper voice behind me. I didn't think they were calling out to me, so I ignored them and kept walking. But the person speaking got flustered and called out once more.

"H-hey, wait, wait a minute! Ayanokouji-kun?"

Apparently, the greeting had been aimed at me, after all. When I turned around to look behind me, I saw Hoshinomiya-sensei, the homeroom teacher for Class D running in my direction, Karma was walking behind her.

"Hold on, wait up a minute!"

She grabbed my hand with her cold ones. I couldn't help but wonder just what kind of female teacher would just casually grab a male student by the hand like this.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think that you were talking to me. Can I help you with something?" I asked.

"Can't I talk to you without needing anything?" she replied.

She looked up at me with upturned eyes, her hand still holding onto mine. Only someone who knew exactly how cute they were would act this way.

"Well, I'm not saying that, but..."

I pulled my hand free from Hoshinomiya-sensei's grip, somewhat forcefully. For some reason, she let out a little chuckle when I did. A wicked grin appeared on her face.

"Right, you and Nao-chan are dating, are you not?"

"We are," I said dismissively.

"Now, now, Kiyo, don't be like that. Chie just likes to gossip," Karma stated, arriving as well.

"Indeed," Hoshinomiya smiled. "Besides, it's good that you have such a cute girlfriend, Ayanokouji-kun. It means you're living your student life at its fullest. Unlike Karma-kun."

"Hey. It's not my fault Yuki and Kocho keep rejecting me," he shrugged simply.

"That's a waste, then. You've been blessed with such a wonderful environment," Hoshinomiya declared.

What kind of 'wonderful environment'?

"What can I say? Love seems to avoid me," Karma said. "I can only find comfort in the idea that my dear friends Kiyo and Nao are having such a loving and caring relationship," he finished, placing a hand on my shoulder in the most dramatic way possible.

"Oh? Is that so, Ayanokouji-kun?" Hoshinomiya queried. "Even though you are in different classes?"

"...That hasn't really been a problem," I mused.

"Really?" I nodded. "That's curious, normally, you'd do absolutely everything in your power to help out your class, right? But your girlfriend is in a rival class. So, that's an opening to anguish and conflict. And tada, you have drama!" she exclaimed. "But Classes A and B haven't faced each other in a while, so I suppose it makes sense..."

"I suppose you'd like to see some drama, then," I said.

"I would!" She exclaimed happily. "Except for you, Karma-kun. Please find a healthy relationship, you cause me enough stress as is."

"Do I? Then—"

"I'll stop you right there, Karma-kun," Hoshinomiya said with a sweet smile. "You have your moments, but sorry, dating a first-year high school student is pretty much off the table—".