V8: Chapter 17 - What Defines Us

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

I walked out of the building and took a look around to try and find Karma.

Parked not far from where I was, several buses were being prepared by staff members. It wouldn't be long before we begin boarding the buses and go back to school.

The sky was turning dark already, and the weather was quite cold. It would be late in the night by the time we arrive back at school.

I spotted Karma gazing at the forest at the edge of the road.

I walked up to him and stood by his side.

"If I achieve such a victory again, I shall be undone," Karma quoted. "I believe that's what Pyrrhus said after his victory in Asculum."

"Something like that, yes," I acknowledged.

"Why didn't you expel me?" he asked. "You would've spared yourself a few headaches."

Why didn't I expel Karma, huh?

It was certainly the easier option.

And as Karma said, I could have spared myself more than one headache.

Still, that wasn't a long-term solution. He would have been expelled and left the school to go back to the White Room, nothing more, nothing less.

He would have learned nothing, just more hatred towards me, his fire would have just burned all the brighter, his desire to prove himself the best greater than ever, which would in turn drive him to do some folly outside of this school, in that place.

By keeping him here, on the other side, I would be able to watch him and monitor his progress.

This feeble victory would help him grow; see his mistakes, what he did wrong, what he did right, what he could do to be better....

Moreover, having someone with his abilities and resources by my side would be beneficial in the long run. Now that that man was coming for me, I would be an idiot if I got rid of that which Karma had to offer.

"I would've gained nothing," I simply stated.

"Right..." he placed his hands in his pockets with a sigh; probably expecting an answer such as the one I gave him.

"Thank you, though."

He frowned. "What for?"

"Thanks to you, I was able to find an answer."

"An answer? To What?"

"Trust. I understand it now. What it is... to me, at least."