V3: Chapter 9 - The Prestige

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

August 7th. It was finally time for the exam to come to an end. All in all, it hadn't been a bad week, our class had managed to work together, although that semblance of unity was threatened on several occasions, we had managed to work as one... Well, mostly.

There wasn't any sign of Mashima-sensei or the others, even when the test ended around noon.

"We're now tallying up the test results. Please wait a moment. Feel free to use the rest area if you would like to eat something or have a drink."

After that announcement, the students gathered and headed toward the rest area. Underneath the provisional tents, they'd prepared tables and chairs for our use, so we could get comfortable. There were no signs that Koenji, Horikita, or any of the retired students were waiting on the cruise ship, although I saw several drones flying around the area. They might be for security purposes or simply for streaming.

Next to me were walking Haruka and Akito.

"Ahhh! It's finally over, a minute more there and I think I would have retired," Haruka exclaimed stretching herself.

"It's true that it wasn't easy, but at least we managed to respect the soil of 180 points Hirata had established," Akito replied.

"Well... That's true. What do you think, Kiyopon? Do we have a chance to win?"

I tilted my head as if pondering her words. Because of Karma's tactic I doubted we could win this without breaking our alliance with Class B, that's why I didn't inform Matsushita nor Hirata about their leader.

"I don't know if we can win but I don't think we're going to lose."

Akito and Haruka chuckled hearing my answer, was there something funny about it?

"You know, Kiyotaka, one day you just won't be able to give neutral answers," Akito said with a gentle smile and tapping me on the shoulder.

I nodded. I obviously agreed with him. As things stood my cover wouldn't hold for too long.

Both, last night and earlier when I talked to Matsushita and informed her about the leaders and the situation, she gave off a strange feeling. It was almost as if she was scared of something. I had two or three theories to explain it, but I couldn't be too sure. I wanted to discard the possibility of Matsushita being the presence I felt when I confronted Horikita yesterday, since I thought that was Mikoto's presence, but I couldn't just rule out such a possibility.

"Well, the good thing is that now we'll be able to enjoy a whole week on the cruise!" Haruka clapped.

"—Are you doing here?!"

Arriving at the beach Karma's voice stormed through the place. Everyone was already here. In front of Karma, the figures of Mikoto and Chikujoin were standing beside the table eating and drinking calmly.

Mikoto grinned.

"Eh? Is there a problem, Karma? We're just resting over a meal; do you want some?" she asked offering a bite of her sandwich to Karma.

"Don't give me that! You retired on the very first day."

"I did?" Mikoto tilted her head feigning ignorance.

Karma made an exasperated sound and parted towards his class. Behind him, Matsuo apologized for Karma's behaviour. If he lost his cool to the point of causing such an unnecessary fuss, then Mikoto's presence must really be a hindrance to his plans. He really had no idea Mikoto was still on the island, huh?