V10: Chapter 15 - Aftermath

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

I stepped out of the ring, my heart pounding in my chest. I had been so close to winning, so close to knocking Karma out. But Kouenji had intervened, stopping the match just as I was about to land the final blow.

I turned to face him, my rage simmering just below the surface. "Why did you do that?" I demanded, my voice low and dangerous.

Kouenji smiled, an enigmatic expression on his face. "My, my, Kiyotaka-boy, you seem quite displeased by the result," he said, his voice dripping with amusement.

"I had that victory," I declared, my voice firm. "I was going to knock him out."

Kouenji's smile widened. "Indeed, you were," he said, nodding. "I wonder what would have taken for him to wake up again, of course."

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

Kouenji raised an eyebrow, his smile still in place. "Hoh? So, you did not notice?" he said, his voice laced with a hint of condescension. "Interesting."

I shook my head, my frustration mounting. "I don't know what you're talking about," I said, my voice laced with anger.

I had everything under control.

Kouenji chuckled, a sound that grated on my nerves. "Oh, but you do, Kiyotaka-boy," he said, his smile widening. "You showed me who you really are today."

I felt a surge of anger coursing through my veins. I wanted to lash out at Kouenji, to tell him that he was wrong, that I was nothing like that, that I was just like everybody else. But I did not. I knew that he was right. Kouenji had seen through me, what I was capable of, what I kept hidden. He had seen it and decided something about me.

Kouenji's smile turned into a grin. "One day, you shall feel honoured for having me as a friend, Ayanokouji-boy," he said, his voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "But for now, you better check on Karma. Your childhood friend doesn't seem capable of standing up."

I turned to look at Karma, who was lying on the ground, his face bloodied and bruised. Himeno was kneeling beside him, trying to check his pulse.

I gave a sigh and walked back to the ring, my anger subsiding. It wasn't Kouenji's fault that I was this way, lashing out at him would serve no purpose.

I knelt down beside Karma and gently touched his shoulder. He groaned and opened his eyes, his gaze meeting mine.

"Was it worth it?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

Karma chuckled weakly, a bloody smile spreading across his face. "Every second of it, Kiyo," he said, his voice thick with pain.

I stared at him. "After all our discussions, this is the solution you found to get your answers?"

He shrugged. "A few, yeah. But I mostly wanted to see how I'd do. How'd you say it? Huh? TO make your ambitions come true, you have to take risks, yeah?"

"Perhaps." I nodded, understanding. Karma had always been a risk-taker, always pushing the boundaries of what was possible. And in this case, he had pushed me to the limit as well.

His grin grew. "And what about you? You wanted that victory, didn't you? You felt that thrill, I saw it—Ow! Damn you!" Karma cursed me as I grabbed his arm and forced him to get up.

"We'll talk later. For now, I'll take you to the infirmary."

He chuckled weakly "Oh? And this sudden act of kindness?"