V10: Chapter 3 - Commanders

Ichinose Honami POV

Classes ended for the day and since I was the commander, I left the classroom with Chie-sensei to go to the multi-purpose room in the special building. There we would decide which classes would be facing each other.

This exam was vital for us, and we needed to win. Karma-kun already had a plan and for that we needed to face Class B. I didn't know his motivations, but I trusted him. Moreover, we already had a potential list for events, and I could see how it would work to our advantage. True we had no fighters, but for tests and things like fencing and volleyball we had an opportunity.

Maybe I could ask Karma-kun if we can talk later so I may better understand his plan.

Besides, we also needed to discuss his place in class. At first, I didn't notice it but now it was obvious to me: everyone hated him. His efforts to not worsen his relationship with our classmates consisted, at best in ignoring them and at worst in giving them some mocking reply. It was worse than it used to be since before our classmates, at least tolerated Karma-kun. Even Yuki-san and Eiichiro-kun seemed to have a strained relationship with him. Although Yuki-san mostly ignores him. It was evident they fought over something, but I had no idea what that was, both had refused to tell me, sending me to the other for information.

The only real positive seemed to be that Mako-chan was on my side and was trying to help Karma-kun too. They seemed to get along during lunch and when Mako-chan told me Karma-kun accepted to come bowling with us this weekend I was pleasantly surprised.

"I thought you would choose Karma-kun as the commander," Chie-sensei commented as we walked.

"Uh? Ah, it's just that I have the protection point so it made sense for me to be the commander."

"So, it's about the risk of being expelled?"

"Well, we don't want to lose but better safe than sorry, right?" I continued when I saw Chie-sensei's smile falter. "But Karma-kun already has the beginning of a plan. You'll see, sensei, we'll revert our situation."

"Hmm... You have a lot of faith in Karma-kun then," Chie-sensei remarked, her tone thoughtful. "Even after all his failures."

"This time we're all going in the same direction—"

"That could be argued."

"If you're referring to my classmates... hostility towards Karma-kun, I'm working on it. But rest assured, Chie-sensei, we're all going in the same direction because I know they will follow me."

"Very well, then," she nodded, smiling more truthfully this time. "I trust your judgement, Honami."

My smile grew at her words. Chie-sensei had always been supportive of us, encouraging us to strive for success and I could tell she believed in our potential, even when others doubted it.

The rest of the way we walked in silence. And when we arrived at the multi-purpose room in the special building, I could notice the other three students had arrived.

The door opened and I caught sight of the teachers and students representing the other classes. I saw Sakayanagi-san from Class A, Horikita-san from Class B and Chikujoin-san from Class C. The last one surprised me, she was the only one here who had no Protection Point, after all. Nevertheless, considering that point went to Ryuuen-kun, and he wasn't participating in the class competition... then I suppose it made sense.

Then, I saw two computers, stationed facing each other, each connected to a large monitor.

"Well, now that we have the commanders from each class all gathered together, we'd like to determine which classes will be facing off against each other. We're going to have you each draw one slip of paper from this box. The student who draws the slip of paper with the red circle on it will be given the right to choose their opponent," said Mashima-sensei, presenting us with the box with the raffle slips in them.