V9: Chapter 2 - Volatility

Akabane Karma POV

As soon as classes ended for the day, most girls stormed out of the classroom. Surely to go stand in front of Ichinose's door and plead for her to open, repeating the same cliched phrases of support and reassurance.

To my surprise, though, one girl remained behind.

"I'm ready for the meeting," Mako said eagerly, joining me near the exit.

"Meeting?"

"Yeah, I mean, to discuss strategy and all that stuff you do."

"Why would there be a meeting?" I asked, visibly confused.

"Well—I... I don't know. I thought... well, since Chie-sensei announced that exam, that you'd want to discuss how we were to proceed."

"At least someone seems eager to get to work, eh, Karma?" Matsuo laughed, arriving next to us and giving me a tap on the back.

I glanced at him and instantly noticed the fake smile he was giving me. When his attention went back to Mako, his gaze softened, and a genuine smile appeared on his lips.

"Yes!" Mako hailed. "We must find a way to prevent one of us from being expelled. I know there's the 'pay twenty million option' and I know we have the money, but I'm sure you have something on your mind, right, Karma?"

"I may have something," I said absently, not really paying attention to her words. "Why don't you go and find Kanzaki and Shinobu, hmm? Tell them we'll meet at the karaoke tomorrow after classes."

"Sure. That anything you need me to do?"

"Yes," I smiled at her. "Matsuo and I have matters to attend to, but I'll contact you if I need your help." She nodded and left with a "see you later".

As soon as she walked out of the room, the atmosphere of the place changed completely. Matsuo grabbed the chair nearest to him and dragged it across until he got in front of my desk where he sat. Not uttering a word, he gave me a displeased look and gestured toward my empty seat; with a sigh, I let my backpack drop to the floor in a loud thud before taking my seat.

At first, he remained silent, glaring at me, the drumming of his fingers on the table was the only sound that could be heard. As I waited for him to break the awkward silence, my eyes wandered around the empty room. Chie hadn't erased the blackboard before leaving and the equations she had written down during class were still there, the cameras remained on the corners ever watchful to the events transpiring in every classroom, a sun hidden by the clouds would plunge the somewhat disorganised classroom into an eerie atmosphere weren't for the lights on.

"What's this about, Matsuo? I don't have all—"

"It was you," he affirmed.

"So, I did something now, eh? People really like to accuse me of things, did you notice?"

"You spread those rumours about Ichinose, Karma."

His direct accusation didn't surprise me. Matsuo wasn't one to speak in roundabout ways. So, slowly but making as much noise as I could, I placed both my arms on my desk and leaned forward before giving him my response, a wide grin on my face.

"Now, why would I do that?"

"Ichinose's been blaming herself for what happened in the training camp. For us being demoted to Class D. And suddenly, these rumours start and a few days later, so it happens that we will be expelling someone."