Chapter 31

Tw:⚠️
———————————————————————
Alessia's POV:

It was like we were encased in a bubble of silence.

All sound became nonexistent.

All that I could acknowledge was Daniel holding onto me tightly, almost like he was scared of letting go, and him gently caressing my head while I silently cried my heart out.

"Daniel," I cried out," I'm so sorry."

He didn't say anything but just held onto me tighter as I kept muttering apologies to him.

It's the least I could do.

"Alessia, please don't." He almost scolded me and I finally pulled away and looked at him. His eyebrows were furrowed in confusion as he looked at me and took my face in between his hands." Don't apologise. You didn't do anything wrong. In fact, it was my fault."

I just stared at him, dumbfounded and was about to deny it but he stopped me.

"Please let me. I was the one who brought you into this world and everything that ever happened to you, happened because of me. I should've done more to protect you and keep you safe, instead I've had to let you deal with all of this by yourself." He admitted with a heartbreaking look on his face.

It was almost a haunting look and quite frankly, scared me.

I've never seen him like this.

"There was so much more I could've done, but I neglected my duties as your guardian and mentor. You've already had so much to deal with in your short life. You don't need this anymore. So, don't apologise. Don't apologise for my mistakes because you're only going to break my heart even further." Daniel demanded while looking me straight in the eye.

My throat felt dry and I couldn't find the words to say anything to him as much as I wanted to tell him that none of this is his fault.

"Alessia, please, don't hurt yourself like this." He pleaded with me but my eyes slowly lowered down towards the ground. The sky above started to rumble but neither of us were moving out of its range." I made you a promise the first time I made you. I promised that I would help avenge you and your mother's death. And I plan on fulfilling that promise right now."

Daniel's tone of voice was serious and I knew he was adamant and my vengeance had already started but, it was getting nowhere.

Somehow, they were still winning.

"Daniel, I just... I want to give up." He looked at me with confusion and almost anger but I cut him off before he could say anything." Let me finish. I really appreciate everything you've all done for me. I truly do. And I don't regret anything I've done over these four years. I finally felt liberated from years of torment." I hiccuped at the end.

"And I understand that planning a vengeance to take down a mafia is not going to happen over night. But, what more do I have to lose? They know everything! My identity, my life. I don't want this anymore. I'm done!" I finished while staring Daniel in the eye who was staring back with an array of emotions: confusion, shock, anger.

"Is this what I taught you?" His eyebrows furrowed as he questioned me." Did I teach you to give up when all hope seems lost?"

I slowly shook my head no and looked down in shame but Daniel didn't let me and forced me to look him in the eye.

"I taught you, all of you, that no matter what, you keep fighting and you keep your head high. Don't show them that you're weak. Prove your worth because I've seen it. Now, prove your worth to everyone, including those who have caused to become weak."