Chapter 25

Tw: blood, threat, death
——————————————————————————
Daniel's POV:

I've never been a patient person.

Waiting to hear from them is like torture. I just wait aimlessly to hear back from them that they're okay and that I'll see them without a scratch.

Sitting in my dark office with the only lights coming from the city through my large, glass windows illuminated my whole office but it could never shine a line through my mind to calm me.

Somewhere in my gut, I had a heart wrenching feeling.

I sat down in my chair for the fiftieth time in the past ten minutes, gripping my phone tightly, waiting to hear any news.

Of course, I trusted them thoroughly and without a second thought. But they're my children, my life. I would hate myself if anything happened to them.

Trying to maintain my breathing, I glance at the starry night and my mood only worsens as I remember the sole reason why I'm in the place that I am.

20 years ago, I lost someone who was the most important person to me.

Flashback:

"Brother, where do you think we'll be in ten years time?" A little voice asked me as we laid down on the grass staring at the twinkling stars gleaming in the night sky.

"I don't know, Lily. Maybe we'll be making out dreams come true and helping those who can't help themselves. Or maybe we won't." I said, solemnly.

"You're right. We need to take all of these into considerations but I don't care what happens to me. As long as you're with me." She turned to face me with a gentle smile on her face.

I turned my head to face her and I couldn't help but smile at her. Her bright, green eyes shone like a beacon of hope and I knew that everything would be okay.

End of flashback:

I was 17 at the time we had that discussion.

It was something we both enjoyed doing; laying under the stars and having meaningless conversations.

Until that one frightful day.

Flashback:

"Lily, enough! You're not going out and that's final!" I shouted while rubbing my hands down my tired face, fed up of repeating myself over and over again.

"Fucks sake, Daniel. It's one night! What harm will it do?" She questioned me like she hasn't asked me that question every time she begs me to let her go out. Through these arguments I inevitably cave in and let her go but with all of these crimes being reported in, I don't want her to leave the house, especially at night.

"I'm not arguing with you about this anymore. Go to your room." I commanded sternly.

She scoffed harshly and glared at me with pure hatred lingering in her gaze." Ever since mom and dad died, you've been a pain in my ass, never letting me have any fun. I curse myself for having you as my brother."

Then, she stormed out of my room and the whole house fell into silence until I heard the sound of a door slamming echo throughout.

Guilt flooded into my chest and it only made me grieve the ones that we lost three years ago.

My parents died in a car accident. I was only 16 at the time and Lily was only 14. We were forced into foster care due to none of our biological family wanting to take us in. We were never that close with them but staying with them probably would've been better than staying in that dump.