81. Ball Or No Ball

Blaise and Maddi left the next morning for a few days away on a mini honeymoon before school starts. Astra had helped Maddi pack, giving her outfits and coats to save Maddi having to head home to get ready as travelling to Ireland requires a Portkey. Not that it mattered. Blaise had already told her that he was buying her and her mother a wardrobe update causing both women to break into a fit of giggles.

In Blaise's words, "he wanted to spoil the women in his life." Astra had to object as he was trying to add her to the mix but she didn't need anything. Especially after he bought her a fancy coat and a bloody painting of her and her friends for her home, painted by some fancy, celebrity artist. Astra didn't need expensive gifts. She loved Blaise just as much as everyone else. The painting was beautiful but she loved it just as much as the picture Ginny gifted her of the gang in a handmade frame. Growing up with nothing gave Astra an appreciation for everything, no matter the cost.

So she didn't to be spoilt. She was already spoilt in her eyes. She had family – a father, brother, uncles, friends, a boyfriend she adored and she had a baby on the way. She had everything she needed in life and she was deliriously happy.

So she was happy to help Maddi and get her ready and had just left her upstairs trying on her 4th bikini while Blaise was at the Ministry getting the PortKey. Esme, Andromeda, and Narcissa had treated themselves to a spa visit, with an overnight stay. They had invited Astra but she didn't want to drag them down, as she was constantly feeling sick. Harry, Sirius, Remus and Teddy had gone to The Burrow to visit for a few days.

Severus was spending the days up in the attic. When Astra moved in, she put everything up there, not wanting to get rid of anything as it was all personal items. Eileen had a tonne of trinkets. Boxes and memorabilia and Severus was curious so he was up there most of the day, bringing down items for Astra, like her baby blanket, her cot, filled with excitement to tell stories and reminisce. Astra was loving seeing this side of him.

That meant that the usually full household was pretty much just empty. Just Astra and Draco to potter about. It was nice. It gives them a taste of what life would be like after graduation. When they were on their own. Only by then they will be parents.

But Astra's mind would wonder at times. It still annoyed her what Draco said about needing her to change. Needing to have someone society could respect. She knew he said that it didn't matter but she knew it did. Draco had brought it up more than once. He has already expressed his nervousness about the ball. Was it because of her?

She didn't want to fight but she needed to know.

She was standing in the kitchen, baking. Something she always did this when she was feeling anxious or upset. She was measuring ingredients when Draco came into the room, after his shower and kissed her cheek before jumping up on the counter.

"What are you doing?" He asked, his eyebrows raised as he watched her scoop butter onto scales.

"Baking," she said trying to sound happy.

"Why?"

"Em..." she shrugged. "I like to bake. If you don't want cookies then -"

"No, I do!" He interrupted. "I do. I love your cookies." He gave her his best puppy dog eyes and pouted. "Pwease?"

She rolled her eyes. "OK, quit your pouting. It's beneath you."

"Not if it works," he smirked but bent down to look at her face. "You alright?"

"I'm fine," she fake smiled.

"No I know you aren't. You are a terrible liar. Tell me what is wrong." Draco said jumping off the counter and turning her around to face him. "Come, on." He turned her back to the countertop. "You mix and I will measure. Couldn't be any different from potions...taste better maybe. Now talk."