14. Home

The dorm for their group was simply stunning. It was light grey and cream. The sofas were grey with cream throws and cushions hanging off them, and they surrounded the fireplaces that were set at either side of the round room.

There were huge stain glass windows that cast colourful light into the room. There were paintings and quotes on the walls as well as bookshelves galore along with a piano, chess sets up, and ready for battle. There was a floor to ceiling round pillars which Astra thought were empty to begin with but on closer inspection she noticed that two were filled with fish of all things and the other was what Hermione called a 'lava lamp' which was actually florescent liquid and wax which made for an interesting display. Even the ceiling was decorative with stars that light up like the night sky. A small kitchenette was just ahead for the dorm to make tea, coffees, and house snacks.

"I have a list of names here of students who we will be sharing with this year," Hermione said, waving the paper in the air. She began calling out names as people made their way off towards the staircase. Astra thought it strange that there were no boys and girls dorms this year, just rooms.

"OK, so Elijah Whittle, you are with Justin Flinch Fletchly. Ernest McMillen, you will be with Terry Boot. Ron, you are sharing with Harry. Theo you are sharing with Blaise and Draco. Neville, you are with Dean and Seamus." The boys all looked pretty pleased with their partners.

"OK, Millicent Bulstrude, you will be sharing with Lousie Conlon. Hannah Abbott, you are with Padmda Patil. Pansy Parkinson is with Daphne Greengrass. And Astra, you are with...oh Maddi and me!" She giggled.

The three girls were the last to ascend the stairs. They were closest to the dorm, just up one flight with Harry and Ron's room next to theirs and Draco, Blaise, and Theo directly opposite. The girls' room was light blue and cream in colour with gold accents on the curtains and bedding. Astra had always shared a room with Maddi. That was how they became friends. She was excited to be sharing with both girls.

"So what do you think about this whole...find your soulmate thing?" Maddi asked after she unpacked her trunk and slipped on her pjs.

Astra frowned. "I don't like the idea of them trying to influence our futures, but they did say that we do not have to marry these people. It's just a chance to meet someone. You never know it could work out, and if it doesn't well, there's no harm lost."

"Do wizarding families get married this young. I mean, we are only eighteen." Hermione pointed out.

Maddi nodded. "It's tradition, yes. Usually, after your final year at Hogwarts, we have a ball. It's like a debutant ball to present ourselves to the community. It is perfectly normal for couples to meet, court, and then get engaged all within the space of a few weeks."

"Are you serious?" Hermione asked. "In muggle society, the average age is about 24 years old."

"Oh, by 24, you are expected to be married, settled, and either have a career underway or babies on the way." Astra said, shrugging. "Most witches and wizards growing up have lessons on dancing, etiquette and things to prepare us for this. Even I had them when I stayed with my grandmother the last few summers."

"Really?" Hermione raised her eyebrow.

Astra and Maddi nodded. "Yeah, the summer season used to be filled with balls and luncheons and things to allow witches and wizards a chance to meet and get to know each other. It's all very..."

"Ancient," Astra laughed. "Kind of like the Regency era Hermione. Our society hasn't advanced much in terms of marriage and courting."

"Wow, that is crazy! We have nothing like that anymore. Muggles don't even court any more they just date. Dating can take years before you become engaged and even longer before you get married."