Chapter 102 - Room to Breathe

Start from the beginning

"Ya sure it won't blow up in their faces?" Ed asks as he raises an eyebrow. 

"They have safe modes, I'm sure the three would handle them just fine." 

"And I'm sure they have some dang fine muscles to lift one of those things. Like, a drill or something!" 

"Wait for the results first, Ed, then we can discuss how well those muscles are, OK?" Ed merely shrugs in response while Malak chuckles for a bit. 

"Not like you would be able to try them, Old Ed," Malak says, to which Ed merely waves his hand around, which makes Malak stop chuckling. 

"Let me guess, that big one you're talking about is what we think it is, Mister Sly?" Andrei asks. 

"Ain't you a quick learner, right? But yes, it is indeed. And let me tell you, compared to the rest, this may take many days to prepare. It's not just the forces all over America we need to lay the hammer on, we also need a handful of our allies in the Pacific to further press on the remaining Zlocs in the region." As Sly explains this, Amira trembles a bit with the mention of "allies", mouth quivering for a bit as well. 

"But in order to do that, we serve as the Spec Ops of sorts as the first line of fire?" Logan asks. 

"Something like that, you can fulfill that part in tandem with the new unit if they prove their worth. Also, Seiner, I think you can upgrade your drones for a bit to help scout further down aside from being on the ground, correct?" Sly asks as he glances at Seiner. Seiner merely chuckles in response as he smirks. 

"You're asking the right guy, mate. Getting man and machine to cooperate is no hard task at all when you get the right tools and personnel," Seiner says. 

"As expected from you, Seiner. In a few hours, we'll determine where you will be deployed to scout any potential activity or defense mechanism they have present, especially if it concerns those laser walls we put up with since San Jose. The sooner we know, the better we can act, what do you say?" As Sly asks, he glances at the trembling Amira, who glances away from Sly as Logan holds her hand in an attempt to calm her trembling. 

"Ami?" Tany asks as he sees her as well. 

"Is there something of the matter, Amira?" Sly asks as he leans for a bit while still sitting. From every angle, ever since the day she returned from the fortress, has shown an unusual amount of shakiness and uneasiness coming from her, almost as if there's one dominant fear going through her, one that she may not be alone in sharing it. 

"Hey Amira, I know it's been harsh since the fortress but I swear-" Jack groans for a bit as he tries to place his bandaged arm near Amira's shoulder in an attempt to tap her with a slight smile on his face. "I swear we will make this as easy as we can try, for all of us. Not fully guaranteed, but it's the best we Humans can try for you." 

"Actually, retract that bit of you going on a scouting operation today," Sly says as he crosses his hands, which makes some swiftly shift their gazes on Sly over this unusual response from him. 

"Sly, you sure there's something of the matter?" Andrei asks with raised eyebrows, still unaware of the gravity of the situation. 

"I believe that many of you still suffer from the effects of the recent operation, both on the inside and outside. In that case, I think you can take a break for two or five days, give or take, depending on well you feel ready. Not to mention, such states of the mind and body can jeopardize the mission too," Sly explains.