Back

President Fitzgerald's POV:
I get back to the White House and I can't help think about Neera. Who is now Dani, or Danika. I remember the first time we met, how she didn't even know I was the president.

"I'd like you to meet your personal bodyguard, Neera Sullivan." Cy says and I enter the Oval Office.

I look over to see a girl who stands at about 5'2 with dirty blond hair. She's not standing in a formal manner like everyone else I deal with, instead she's leaning against the wall with her arms crossed. She has a bored look on her face and turns to see me.

"So, is he coming or?" She asks impatiently and I furrow my brows.

"Who?" I ask and she scoffs.

"The President." She says in a serious tone and I can't help chuckle, thinking she's joking.

I look over at Cy who looks just as perplexed.

"This is the President." Cy exclaims and she quirks a brow in my direction and looks me up and down.

"Huh, okay." She shrugs and makes her way over.

"I'll let you two get aquatinted." Cy says awkwardly and leaves the room.

I can't help but feel like this is some elaborate prank that Cy is pulling. In what world is this girl the best?

"So, miss Sullivan." I say and it takes her a moment to realize I'm talking to her.

"What? Oh, yeah. Just call me Neera." She says so casual like.

I'm not used to being treated like a normal human being. She doesn't seem to hold back or try to be someone she's not.

 She doesn't seem to hold back or try to be someone she's not

"Neera, I think there's been some sort of mistake-." I start saying as politely as I can.

"Why? Because I'm a girl?" She asks bluntly and I'm at a loss for words for a second.

"No, because you seem too young to be the best in the business." I try to state delicately.

"Well, you wouldn't want an 80 year old to be your body guard." She scoffs and I see her point.

"Look, this wasn't my idea either. I'm supposed to give you a whole made up background about my past to save face for you. But the truth is, your buddy Cyrus or like you call him; Cy, officially had me killed. He brought me to a hotel and gave me a new identity and told me what my job would be. I didn't have much say in this." She explains and I just stare at her.

"He did what?" I ask trying to catch up.

"Well, it was either this or go to prison. Which I'd be fine with, but my fellow coworkers would be arrested as well and I can't have that." She explains, but it doesn't clear anything up.