Ch. 28: Fight

The cheers of the crowd echoed throughout the circular arena as the platform lifted me onto the main stage. All I could hear was the clinking of the chains dangling from the collar and my heart pounding as I realized the time to fight was right now. What I had mentally put off could not be deferred any longer.

Unlike last time I was here, there weren't any poles, instead, I was inside a circular cage. There was no roof, but the fence went up about three times my height. On the sidelines were the soldiers being as boisterous as ever. The problem, however, stood on top, condescending and glacial. If I was disconcerted, she made me mortified. This reality wouldn't even be taking place if it wasn't for that woman. Doctor Raven Garnett. As regal as she carried herself, it was clear that I no longer even served as her bed warmer. The disgust and annoyance with which she stared at me was as if she had just ruined her brand new shoes by stepping in dog shit while running late to work. It was clear that Dahlia had not yet found any evidence to disprove the video that painted me as the world's biggest liar in her eyes.

To add insult to injury, to Mistress's right stood Nurse Cleary, Kristia, and Mia. All three were looking quite smug, satisfied with the outcome. Typical of Cleary, she was biting down on her lower lip with a face that exuded ecstasy while Mia was counting dollar bills clearly looking to win big on today's bet. Kristia was just waiting with obvious anticipation.

Diametrically opposed to them were Dahlia and Nivia who sat on Mistress's left. As I watched Nivia try to hide her discomfort, Dahlia's grimace gave away her pain, upset, and defeat as I have never seen before.

The weight of the chains forced me to stop looking up at them, coercing me to take a knee and remain hunched over until the fight had begun. On the brink of muscle fatigue, it seemed like a millennia had passed before the announcer presented my opponent. When the other platform rose onto the arena's floor, I was able to catch a glimpse of the opposition before my arms gave out and I was pulled to the ground, bent forward.

The girl that I was to fight - Subject 0145 - had been flat on the ground surely due to my same predicament with these massive chains.

Subject 0145, huh? If I assume that these numbers they are using to label us are in numerical order, then I wonder how long this girl has been their captive?

If I am being forced to fight 2 weeks - or is it 3 - after I was captured, then I think it's safe to say that she's been here for months.

I honestly don't know how long I've been here anymore.

Did she also go through the same things I already did? Does that mean that she has been victorious in her previous encounters?

Dahlia said that my best bet was to win if I wanted better living conditions and less oversight anyway.

Yeah, I'll give them the fight they want. This is pointless, but I want an easier life. I'll give in to their supposed promise and just knock her out quickly.

"Fighters, are you ready?" The announcer yelled over the speakers. The crowd roared. "First fighter to incapacitate the other, wins. Anything goes!"

I can't see my opponent, but at those last words, a terrible chill shook my core. I'm ready to do whatever it takes.

"Fight starts in 3..." My heart rate picked up.

"2..." I'm straining to stand.

"1!" With a heavy thud, the collar opens and the chains drop. "Fight!"

Feeling a million pounds lighter, I can lift my head again. The chains retract into the floor. I'm poised to get the upper hand early on. Taking a step forward, I zero in on my competition.