Ch. 9: Elevator

As soon as she uttered those last words, a chill ran down my spine. My time was coming to an end.

I believe that 24 hours had not passed yet, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she was going to try to do something before the time was up.

I mean I had just had lunch, so that would mean that I had a couple of hours left. I know I slept in, but it couldn't have been that much, then breakfast, icebox, lunch, and now here.

"I-I thought you said that I had 24 hours of immunity." I stuttered trying to stall as long as possible.

"Oh, you do, you've got 6 hours left. You slept for 12. Don't worry, I'll let you dwell on these last 6 and see if you can come up with an escape plan." She laughed out loud. "In the meantime, here, take your glasses. If you do happen to manage your way out of this floor, I want the chase to be as enjoyable as possible."

This sadistic bitch.

"As a show of good faith, I won't tie you up for the remaining time. I want to see how you fare against me and everybody here." She licked her luscious red lips.

What is going on? All this time I have been restrained and suddenly I'm free to escape? Try to escape?

Ok, well, first things first, I can't fight her head-on like this. I need some type of weapon or something I can use to defend myself. My best bet would be to try to knock her out somehow. I've never fared well against her before. I haven't had a chance to test my strength against hers, but she is taller than me and has combat skills or some type of martial arts training or maybe both because not only is she fast to throw me off balance or get on top of me, but she has outmaneuvered me every time.

If I try to go against her, my best chance is to take her by surprise. How? Maybe when she's coming out of the bathroom? That's too obvious.

"What are you thinking about so much? You seem deep in thought." An amused tone accompanied her words.

"Nothing really. Just trying to figure out the best way out of here."

I got up from the chair, her eyes were fixed on me, but she didn't change her stance. First order of business, do my business. I headed over to the bathroom, once I came out, I just made my way over to the couch and sat there. Dr. Garnett was just enjoying everything.

I decided to try the easiest thing, so I went over to the exit door, locked.

"Seriously, that's the best you can come up with?" She roared in laughter.

I'm glad I'm so amusing to her.

"First of all, obviously it's locked. I have a key right here if you can get it." She flashed a keycard which she inserted into the pocket of her white coat. "Secondly, there are guards on the other side of that door, so how do you plan on getting past them?"

"I had to at least check. I'm winging it right now."

She laughed again. "Damn, I haven't laughed like this in such a long time. You're great." She wiped the corners of her eyes.

I rolled my eyes and turned away. I looked around, but there's nothing that I can use to defend myself. More books? The coat hanger? The microscope? Shit, I need something!

Resigned to not escape, for now, I decided to go over to the microscope. If I'm stuck here for the next 6 hours, might as well enjoy myself.

Dr. Garnett saw me sitting at the microscope station, so she just dove into her work.

I opened the first drawer and saw some slides in a box that were labeled after different tissues in the human body.

This is going to be fun.