Ch. 12: Panic

Where are am I? Everything was dark. My hands felt around and were met with resistance. There was a wall on every side of me. Wherever I was I couldn't get out.

I felt water rushing in the box and it was quickly filling up. It was cold and biting. I was screaming for help, but nobody answered my call.

Could anybody even hear me?

The water had gotten past my shoulders, and I tried to push myself on my tiptoes to breathe in the last of the remaining air. I was now completely submerged underwater, and my lungs were burning. They ached for air. I couldn't hold my breath anymore, my body willed me to breathe, but my mind commanded otherwise.

I was pounding at the walls, hopeful that there would be at least one person who could get me out of here. My muscles trembled and my lungs were winning the fight.

Suddenly, there was a bright ray of light shining on top of me. I was dragged out of the water and thrown to the ground. I was coughing and gasping as hard as I could. My chest heaved up and down forcefully to suck in as much air as possible.

I could feel sand under my fingers as my breathing evened out. Where am I? Why is there sand here?

I looked up to see I was in the middle of a large crowd. The faceless attendees were hollering at the spectacle, demanding more. Somebody landed a sucker punch, and I was thrown forward.

Two people grabbed my arms and tied them to two separate poles. I felt an unusual warmth penetrating my body. It was starting to hurt.

I looked down at my body and saw fire coming out from my midsection. The crowd was roaring in laughter. Their vicious thirst being satisfied, but still demanding more entertainment.

I was thrashing in the shackles, pulling my skin off. Blood was running down my abraded arms and I could see muscle under the cuffs.

I looked forward and saw both Dahlia and Mia holding burning spears. Their faces contorted into ghoulish shapes. I tried to back away from them. I could feel the skin melting under the fire emanating from my midsection.

They both gripped their spears in an attack position and plunged them straight into me.

I woke up crying, shaking and panting. My hands shot to my torso and didn't find anything, except the bruises. The lights had already been turned on by the time I woke up, so I looked around frantically. I was looking around for either Dahlia or Mia. When I turned around, I shrieked in terror and jumped back at the figure sitting before me.

I felt around for my eyeglasses until I found them and put them on. Dr. Garnett's face came into focus in between the bars. She was looking at me intently. My hands were trembling, I gripped hard onto the sheet.

"You sure do get a lot of nightmares, don't you?" She cooed. "I wonder what has you so scared? Don't get me wrong, I like to see you in pain, but only if I or any of my staff has caused it in order to teach you."

I let out a shaky breath. Please let me go.

Tears were freely falling, and I buried my face in my quaking hands.

"Please let me go. I can't stand it anymore." I implored.

"And why would I do that? I just made you mine, and there is so much more to discover about you." Her egotistical comment just broke me down even further.

"I am not yours. I am nobody's!" I wept.

"How many times must I tell you? You are my toy, my pet, my slave. That's why I put that collar on you." She replied smugly.