Ch. 27: Solitary

Drip drop.

Ugh, what is this? It feels like I got hit by a truck and then thrown off a precipice only to be trampled by elephants.

Drip drop.

My eyes are closed, but by the way I'm feeling, I'm debating if it's even worth opening them. All I can tell right now is that I'm laying down somewhere hard.

I wiggle my fingers and twitch my toes, but moving larger muscle groups is requiring an unprecedented amount of energy.

Drip drop.

Those drops are starting to become annoying.

Drip drop.

Okay, fine! I'll shut off the damn faucet!

Letting out a loud groan, I opened my eyes, yet I had to quickly shut them as the strong light stung my eyes. Keeping my eyes clenched, I decided to shift to my side. Moving my arm was like moving a fifty pound dumbbell and it landed like one too.

Oh no! My stomach churned as a wave of nausea rushed through me. I must have moved my head too fast. My body lagged seconds behind what my thoughts commanded.

Resting my head against the cool surface I was lying on, I waited for the nausea to subside.

Drip drop.

I swear the drops are making fun of me now.

Deciding to move slower, I used my forearms to prop myself up. One by one, my leaden legs were barely able to meet my elbows. With my forehead still pressed to the ground, I took a few moments to make sense of my situation.

From the limited movements I've taken, I figured why the surface my face was in contact with was unusually cool. My hair was damp. Welp, there goes another bath without me being conscious. Honestly, I appreciate the state of cleanliness. I, however, would like to not have the opportunity to perform my ablutions absconded in such a way.

When I gathered my knees up to my torso, I also noticed the frail covering I had on. That was it, just another thin paper gown. I bet it was exactly like the one they gave me the day they concussed me, short and flimsy, capable of breaking at the slightest bit of force. Well, at least they didn't leave me in my birthday suit.

Drip drop.

The dripping is getting on my nerves.

A long and drawn out sigh rushed past my lips as I slowly opened my eyes to let them adjust. Blinking away the fog in my brain, I finally figured out that I didn't have my glasses on me. I don't know why waking up here without glasses still surprises me. It's not like I go to sleep with them, but it's not the same knowing I took them off before turning in for the night rather than being knocked out and waking up blind, on top of being completely disoriented. Gotta give it to them, at least they have the decency to make sure I don't roll over and crack them.

Blindly feeling around me, I could not locate my glasses. That's odd, they usually place my spectacles next to me or on a table at most. Careful to not exacerbate my nausea, I looked around while squinting, trying to focus on my surroundings.

It was white. Everything was white. There was no contrast I could discern to say there was any useful landmark. The room was so lit up that there were no shadows of any shape I could make out either. From where I was, I couldn't even tell where the door was or where the floor ended and the wall started. I couldn't even make out where the corners of the room were!

Drip drop.

Oh, that vexing sound! Clean water is a finite resource, people, don't waste it!

My head whipped to the corner behind me. I shouldn't have done that. I clearly shouldn't have done that! The contents of my stomach were one more bad move away from making themselves known.