Ch. 14: Arena

I was genuinely curious as to why everyone was being summoned to meet at the Arena, so I didn't put up any resistance when Dahlia said we also had to go there.

When I turned around, I saw the droves of people making their way down the hallway. We went to join them. Electrifyingly excited chatter filled the corridor.

I wonder what's going on.

Walking down the hallway, we turned right towards the Arena. There were various doors people were filing into. A very young-looking soldier had run up to Dahlia and told her that we were supposed to go in through another door. All three of us followed the person.

Once we entered through, we were directed to a room. Inside, Dahlia told me to sit in the corner. Both Dahlia and Mia sat in front of me, blocking any access to the door.

I had a bad feeling about this. I was nervously twiddling my thumbs.

"What's going on, ma'ams?" My voice sounded small.

"We're just here waiting on Mistress's commands," Mia spoke.

"Is there any reason why she wants everybody?" Anxiety was creeping up in my tone.

They gave each other a furtive look.

"We don't question her motives. When she gives a command, we just follow it. Now shut it." Dahlia snapped.

What are they not telling me?

A couple of minutes passed, and simultaneous beeps came from Dahlia and Mia. They took out the beeping device, read it, then stood up.

"Let's get going. Mistress is ready to see you." Dahlia pulled on the leash.

I was hesitant but followed them. We went into another room. This one was bare. Mia pressed a button on the wall and the floor began moving upwards.

I got startled for a second because I did not expect the room to move like an elevator.

As we were approaching the surface, the crowd's cacophony grew louder. The deafening cheer was apparent.

What was happening? Am I going to be a part of this?

When the platform reached the surface, my heart sank.

My eyes widened and darted across the Arena. My breath caught in my throat.

I was in the middle of it all. Spotlights were on us. People were sitting across the bleachers. They were shouting and pumping their fists. Dr. Garnett was waiting in front of two large posts. She motioned for us to walk her way.

Dahlia and Mia stepped forward, I didn't. Dahlia pulled on the leash, but I was firmly rooted in place. She forcefully pulled again, but I pulled back. My shackled hands went to the leash to stop it from constricting my airway further.

I don't know what was going to happen, but I had a portentous feeling. None of this sat well with me.

I took a step back. Dahlia kept a firm hold on the leash. Mia strode towards me. Adrenaline surged through my veins. I let the leash go slack then aggressively pushed back, it was enough to make it slip from Dahlia's hands. I took the chance to run away from them. The crowd roared in excitement.

I don't know where I was going to go, but something told me to just get away from these people.

My leg muscles tightened, and I frantically ran opposite to where Dahlia, Mia, and Dr. Garnett were. I saw a couple of doors interspersed among various seating areas, but they were all guarded.

I just ran to the nearest door. In addition to Dahlia and Mia, guards were also coming after me. I skidded to a halt as the guards got closer. I spun on my heel and put my hands on the floor to change directions.