Ch. 18: Rebirth

The sound of a steady beeping permeated the room. I could feel I was back in the hospital bed, naked under the blankets. I had been placed on my back, but I did not feel pain like before, it was blunted.

I slowly opened my eyes and saw colored wires coming from my chest. A new IV had been placed on the back of my left hand this time. I could feel that I had a new Foley catheter inserted too.

What happened?

I groaned as I turned my head to see the monitors, but soon realized I was missing my glasses. Why was I so disoriented? How did I not realize I did not have my glasses before?

"How are you feeling?" Mia asked as she walked closer to me. She grabbed the glasses from the nightstand and handed them to me. I am going to guess that only a couple of hours had passed since I was last awake because Mia was still on duty.

"What happened?" I was still feeling groggy and leaden.

"Well, it's rare, but according to Mistress, you went into neurogenic shock from the extreme pain. You gave everybody quite a scare. We had to activate the resuscitation protocol to bring you back. Mistress had to pump you full of fluids and give you norepinephrine to bring your blood pressure back up and get your heart beating faster." Mia stated while holding on to the bedside rail.

"So, you mean to tell me that she basically killed me? That's reassuring." I said sarcastically as I turned my head away from Mia. "That monster can't even control herself."

Mia grabbed a fistful of hair and jolted my head to face her, sending a painful shock out from my neck making me wince. "Don't. Talk. About. Mistress. That. Way." She growled in a low menacing tone. "She just saved your life."

"Only after nearly killing me!" I said through gritted teeth. Looking at her dead in the eyes.

"It's your fault she had to resort to such extremes," said Mia.

"Then let her kill me the next time! I don't care anymore. She's done enough. You all have!" I could not care less about what they wanted, I just wanted out.

She backhanded me. I looked angrily back at her while holding my stinging cheek. A few involuntary tears ran down my face.

"What is it going to take to make you kill me, bitch?" I spat at her as I haphazardly swung a punch her way, but she caught it. I used my other arm to hit her and once again, she caught it. I tried to close the gap between her and me to headbutt her, but she stayed a safe distance away as she yelled for security while trying to pin me down, with both wrists on either side of me.

While Mia was wrestling me, the door slammed open, and in came five burly security guards followed by Nurse Cleary holding a needle. As they quickly approached me, I thrashed violently, screaming profanities at all of them.

"Hold her down on her side." Nurse Cleary commanded. Between Mia and the guards, I could not move at all. Each of them was holding a limb and my head. I felt a prick on my left butt cheek before Mia started restraining me to the bed.

After I was fully secured to the bed, Nurse Cleary smirked sinisterly at me. "Mia, the B52 injection will start working in a couple of minutes. After she's knocked out, keep a lookout for any changes in her respiratory rate or heart monitor. If anything changes call us quickly. As for you," Nurse Cleary turned to me, forcefully grabbing my chin and pressing her nails into my skin, "be grateful that Mistress still wants to play with you."

I was starting to feel numb. Still, I growled at her, gritting my teeth, then spit in her face. My nostrils were flaring. She stayed surprisingly calm as she wiped away the saliva from her face. She gave me one final ugly smirk of hers and threw my face to the side. "When Mistress tires of you, I'll be there to pick up the pieces."