Ch. 23: Lazy Day pt. 2

"Keira, did something happen to you during those two days I was away?" Garnett inquired as tactfully as possible. "Did somebody hurt you?"

If I say no, she won't believe me. If I say yes, she will follow up with wanting to know what happened. Either way, she is going to make me talk.

"I can't answer your question, I'm sorry," I replied truthfully, looking down to the side. My voice lowered. I know she is not going to let it go.

"Look at me," her tone was still calm.

My heart was aching. Thinking back to that moment made my eyes water. I did not want her to see me like this. It was a stupid reason since she has seen me cry I don't even know how many times already, but this moment felt different.

I looked back up at her. Tears were brimming on the edge.

"Keira, if something happened, I could keep you safe," Garnett assured.

"No, I don't think you can," I responded quietly.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because you are only one person. It doesn't matter how much authority you think you have, ultimately, you are still one person," I argued.

She narrowed her eyes at me.

"What does that mean?" Her tone was starting to sound a bit stern.

"Exactly what you think it means. It doesn't matter if you give an order when your subordinates won't listen to it. It's like a king without a kingdom or a country without an army. If there is nobody to enforce your rules, you are nothing. So when I tell you that you can't protect me, it's because I mean it," my voice came out frail, thinking back to what I went through.

"What if I keep you by my side 24/7?" There were some hopeful undertones laced in her query.

"Are you not listening to a single word I'm saying? You don't stand a chance if you're outmanned and outgunned. You're not superhuman. There's nothing you could possibly do to keep me safe," I spat back, now exasperated at her lack of understanding.

"Okay then, now I'm the one saying to give me a chance. Nobody has to find out what I know except for you. I can keep secrets, you know. Don't underestimate me," she was basically pleading with me.

"And risk my life on your word? I don't think so. I'm trying to hold on to the few shattered pieces that I have left that make me, me. Not only that, but I feel like I'm at the edge of breaking down, and I don't want to lose myself. You have already taken everything from me but my life, and I fear that is not too far from reach. If you don't kill me, your lackeys will. Either way, I don't have much time left, so I'd rather make what's left of my life as painless and bearable as I possibly can." My voice broke every few sentences and a couple of tears spilled. I was trying my best to keep the floodgates at bay. I looked back down, away from her beautiful blue eyes.

"Keira..." She placed a hand on my lower leg.

"I don't want your pity," I spat scathingly at her, moving my leg away from her touch. "As you said, I am your pet, your slave, your plaything to do with as you please, when you please. The people on base are just biding their time until I recover so that they can get to play with me, that's what they keep saying. It's so common for them, that changing it now would look more than suspicious, don't you think? So why bother? Just leave me be and don't make me suffer any more than I need to." A pain was grabbing at my heart.

"You know, Keira, I am giving you the choice to tell me willingly. I don't want to have to force you to tell me the truth. It would be much quicker than going through the security footage outside your room to know who had access to you," she paused for a moment and let out a heavy sigh as if regretting what she was going to say next. "What do you think would happen to you if I were to go after Kristia?"