Ch. 1: Taken

The lights switched on and off signaling it is 10pm, the library is closing. I gathered my books and put away my laptop. I have 10 minutes to rush towards the metro station to catch the last train home.

"Another Friday stuck studying," I sigh. Then again, it was my decision to study Biology to apply for medical school.

As I head out the door, I wave goodbye to the guy sitting at the entrance inspecting all the book bags. We are basically the only people left in the library at this hour on a Friday. Most students on Campus go home on Thursday, so there are just a few classes on Fridays, mostly in the Natural Sciences building.

The streets towards the metro station are deserted. The only group of people that I passed by were the students that were gathered in the lobby of the Natural Sciences building studying for a test when I exited the library.

I hate walking these streets alone at night, but it has become a routine already. I could not study back at my apartment because I would get distracted or decide to take a nap and end up not studying at all, so the only place I got some productive studying done anyway was at the library.

In the dimly lit streets, I tightly gripped the pepper spray that my aunt gave me after I was robbed at midday at Campus a year ago and adjusted my heavy backpack for the remainder of the walk to the metro. My back can't take any more heavy books.

I look at my watch, 10:06pm. Time to quicken my pace. The train arrives promptly at 10:11pm.

As I am making my way towards the metro, I am coming up at a T type intersection when I hear a vehicle slow its pace behind me. I quicken my pace even more and move towards the far end of the sidewalk to give myself more space between me and the street. I am now on high alert and discreetly look around to see if there are any escape paths I could take to run away from whoever approaches. I am trying to act casual.

The vehicle is passing me by, and I turn my head to see that it's a black cargo van with the windows blacked out in the front cabin. Chills run down my spine and my heart starts pounding. The van stopped, and suddenly I heard two car doors opening. Before I could even think about running away, the person who was in the passenger's seat got out with a gun pointed towards me. I lift my hands while frozen to the spot, awaiting to hear what they want to take from me this time.

My eyes look up from the gun to meet her gaze, but she just stays silent. I certainly did not expect a woman to be the one holding me at gunpoint. "Wh-What do you want from me?" I stuttered. No answer.

She slowly began walking towards me, and I instinctively backed up until I heard a third door opening. I started to turn my head when the woman closed the gap between us and put her gun just under my chin.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," she whispered in my ear. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and goosebumps covered my arms. I looked ahead once again and let out a shaky breath.

"Be a good girl and stay quiet. Wouldn't want to attract undue attention now, would we? Give me your backpack," she said as she pulled her head back so that her eyes met mine. I complied and handed her my bag. Suddenly, the second person came up behind me and shoved a gag in my mouth, tying it tightly behind my head while the woman put a hood over me.

My hands automatically went up to take the hood off, but just as quickly as they went up, the woman punched me in the stomach with the hand that was holding the pistol, making me double over in pain. Two pairs of hands grabbed at each arm and twisted them behind my back until I heard a click.

This can't be happening.

This can't be real.

"Get up!" commanded the other person.