Ch. 17: Hate

The warm yellow sun is tenderly embracing my tan golden beige skin. Oh, how much I have missed being kissed by its loving rays. In the distance, the soft calming sound of trees swaying with the wind engulfed in their own private minuet falls on my ears. I am in a beautiful flower field brimming with all the colors of the rainbow.

It is so full of life.

The birds are bellowing their joyous hymns, followed by the deers prancing happily to a synchronous ballet, and the rabbits performing a lively jig while hopping from place to place.

It is warm and inviting, peaceful and serene.

The gentle, playful breeze blows through my dark umber hair, emphasizing its lovely ferruginous undertones as the honey-colored light shines through my soft springy, voluminous locks, bringing them into center stage with their own pas de deux. The summer zephyr also makes the flowers dance in syncopated rhythm to the world's greatest waltz.

The placid, crystalline blue lake is inviting me to jump into its cool water.

This is just heaven on earth.

I see a few wooden cottages in the distance. A couple of people are tending to their well-kept gardens outside of their humble abodes in this bucolic landscape.

I do not know how long it has been since I have felt so at peace with the world.

Out of nowhere, the sky turns a monstrous, evil dark and I can see forked lightning illuminating the ominous clouds. A plume of destructive fire descends upon the earth. I put my hands over my head and crouch down to protect myself. The incessant inferno scorches everything around me.

When I look up, there is no life left. The corpses of the once happy animals are smoldering in agony beside me, the sparkling lake has dried up completely, and the dutiful people I had seen working in their gardens are either burnt on the ground or have been set on fire. Their harrowing screams pierce my eardrums as they fruitlessly run a couple of feet before collapsing to their tragic deaths.

I am here, alone, completely alone on a desolate gray earth.

I grab a handful of the charred ashes at my feet and see how they scatter ephemerally in the breeze that plays its mournful elegy to the fallen. I plunge to my knees in pure and utter hopelessness, screaming my heart out to the unheeding winds.

A faint, distant voice is calling out to me. A hand is nudging me awake.

My eyes flit open. My face is damp, and my hands are gripping tightly at some sort of fabric. My knuckles are white. I am trembling, diaphoretic, and tachycardic.

Whatever I am sleeping on moves and I shoot up, sending painful electric shocks up to my skull. It is Mistress. I was sleeping on top of her. My tears have unfortunately stained her white blouse. I quickly move away from her, mumbling an apology, but she grabs my hand and pulls me closer to her.

"It's okay, little one. You're fine. It's not your fault. Come here." She pulled me harder towards her until I was within her reach. Her left hand cups the posterior of my head and forces it back to rest on her chest.

I could see just how damp with sweat and tears I had made her blouse, yet she was not mad at me. With my pulling, a couple of the buttons had come undone. Her cleavage and abs were showing. Those abs.

She lets out a heavy sigh. "Another nightmare?" I nod, not looking up at her. "You were whimpering and crying so I decided to wake you up before things got worse," I replied a quiet thank you. "If your nightmares persist, I'm going to have to give you something so that you can sleep throughout the night." I did not answer this time.