LVII

My Christmas List: December 24th
Please let Miracle's surgery go smoothly. 

❆❆❆❆❆❆

ARMANI'S POV

After being practically forced to change and take a quick shower, I finally made it back down to the infirmary.

I can honestly say it was the worst shower of my life—peeling off the bloody clothes, scrubbing the blood that had seeped in through the white material off my body, and then trying to register the blood on my hands that was not only from Miracle but Diana too.

I felt absolutely numb for the first time in my life. My face was expressionless—I couldn't smile, better yet, frown if I wanted to. I was completely exhausted.

The world had actually stopped spinning—and if Miracle didn't make it through surgery, my world would never spin again.

I felt selfish for even showering and changing into clean clothes when Miracle was fighting for her life, but Dominico made a good point.

"You can't take care of her if you don't take care of yourself first."

The words rang in my head as I walked briskly down the infirmary halls. I had ditched my heels and pantsuit—now I was in a black t-shirt and sweatpants with soft black Dior slippers on my feet.

I felt comfortable—too comfortable.

In fact, I wanted to be the one fighting for my life instead of her—and if it magically got offered to me, I wouldn't hesitate to trade places with Miracle.

My walking slowed as I approached the waiting area that had grown with people.

Everyone was seated in complete silence, and I took in every single face that was present.

Lining the halls were my parents, Cecilia, Leonardo, Olivia, Emilia, Dominico, and even Idalia.

I don't know how Olivia got down here, but I could only assume she witnessed the entire scene and insisted to come wait for news—I could only imagine the questions she has about this place and honestly, I wouldn't even mind answering them. She's Miracle's closest friend, so at some point, she'd have to be cued into what I do for a living.

I walked closer to the group—I had never actually heard a place be this silent before.

As if on cue, everyone's eyes drifted over to me, and as if on cue again, their faces morphed into a pitied look.

However, Idalia seemed to be different—instead, she jumped to her feet, ran over to me, and hugged my legs.

I stared forward, blinking a few times as I rubbed her back. Something I would always do to Miracle—

I pushed the thought away, knowing it would dig up awful emotions with it.

Idalia looked up at me, "She's going to be okay zia."

I pursed my lips into a thin line, pushing away the dreadful feeling of my heart lurching in my chest. It was one of the most painful things I had experienced, and that really said something.

"Yeah," I whispered, my voice barely audible given how badly I had screamed crying earlier, "I'm sure she will," I said, forcing a smile, but the statement itself felt like a lie—like a rehearsal of some sort.

Emilia stood from her chair, walked over to us, and guided Idalia away from me. "I'm sorry, I tried to get her to sleep, but she..." Emilia trailed off, closing her eyes for a brief moment. "She saw the entire thing with Miracle happen, and she kept crying, insisting I bring her down here. It felt unfair of me not to, so I did," she said, and even Emilia looked like something had broken inside of her.