XVI

My Christmas List: December 6th
Let this talk with Dominico go well.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

We'll talk later. We'll talk later? What does that even mean?

The statement repeated in my head like a broken record all day. Luckily, I got good sleep in Armani's bed, but even so, I couldn't fall back asleep after lying in my own bed for over an hour.

Eventually, I got ready early and headed down to grab a coffee before deciding to start on my work. I hoped I would get most of my work done before Heidi could arrive, but I was proven wrong when she waltzed into the conference room just thirty minutes after me.

It made me question why she was here early. Was she staying here too?

You know, I don't even want to know the answer to that. Dealing with her and Armani is already enough for a reason that I can't quite admit to myself—let alone out loud.

Although, working with Heidi wasn't bad, which I hated. I hated that she was actually nice. It made me imagine how her niceness opened Armani up in ways that others couldn't. In ways, I couldn't.

I mentally beat my head against a concrete wall. Why do I care? I just met Armani. There are numerous reasons for me to stay away from her. Oh, and she also rejected me last night.

So why do I care?

I shake my head at myself as I sit in the booth of the cafe on level six. Seriously, it feels like I'm in a coffee shop somewhere in Chicago.

"A matcha tea. That's so fitting for you," a deep voice said, sliding into the plush booth seat across from me.

My body tensed when I noticed Dominico seated before me, making himself comfortable. My mind flashed back to what he said earlier this morning. Was he mad? Maybe he wanted me to stay away from Armani? I don't know, he seems incredibly calm for someone who came here to have a threatening conversation.

"Relax, Miracle," Dominico laughed slightly, grabbing one of the glossy menus off to the side of the wooden table. "I'm only here for your best interest."

"My best interest?" I asked, speaking my thoughts out loud, which I knew would bite me in the ass. He's a mayor for god sake and he's clearly apart of a very powerful family. I'm pretty sure he can already read my thoughts based on my tone and body language, but speaking them aloud would only make this harder for me.

Dominico nodded. "I see how you look at her," he said, diverting his stare from the menu onto me. The mere verbal mention of my confusing feelings for Armani made my stomach drop down to the deep depths of oblivion. "For all, I care, fall for Armani in secret or in the open. I'm just here to warn you before you get hurt. That's all."

I tilted my head. Before I get hurt? What does that even mean?

"I had the same conversation with Heidi..." he trailed off, shaking his head as he looked back down at the menu, "And well, look at her."

I forced my face to remain neutral, staying silent as I gathered any information I could without asking questions.

Finally, Dominico put the menu down, giving me his full attention. "Armani doesn't do commitment, Miracle," he said, pursing his lips into a look of remorse. "Trust me, Heidi has been trying for over two years. Please just save yourself the energy and emotion."

Armani doesn't do commitment? I laughed internally, knowing if she were here she'd probably say something like it comes with the job. It probably does, but it doesn't have to. Not if she doesn't want it to.